1st week with AA3 and question about IR's

Discussion in 'Discussion' started by Shooweri, May 23, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Shooweri

Shooweri Member

Hi guys! I got AA3 about week ago and I'm super stoked about it. Very happy with the tones I've been getting so far but tweaking seems not to end. Little bit of my gear background:

-Lot of different tube amps (ENGL Fireball 60, Powerball, H&K Coreblade, Grandmeister Deluxe)
    -Axe FX II (wonderful with cleans but driven tones seemed to lack a lot of depth and character, driven tones felt like modelled). Owned it for 3,5 years, sold it recently and bought AA3.
    -I've tried a lot of different modellers ect (Pod HD, Helix, GT100, Axe Standard/Ultra/II/IIXL, Kemper)
    -I'm mostly a metal guy but know the basics of different genres. Usually using Ibanez super strats, Tele or a Strat

From my perspective the AA3 seems to be the first modeller that feels good to play and sort of natural like a tube amps. My first experience with AA was through a friend who happens to own one. I tried it for few times, absolutely loved it and recorded a guest solo with it to my friends project (youtube link below).

What kind of IR's you are using for the driven tones and do you tend to use post EQs to shape the tone characteristics? I downloaded freeware Ownhammer cab pack and they're pretty good, just not what I'm looking for. I don't like to use post EQs for the tone shaping since they can create a lot of background noise. I don't have any problems to buy cab IR's if they're good.

Thanks,
    Mika

2. MJ Slaughter

MJ Slaughter Well-Known Member

I've been using the Celestion G12-H75 Creamback for my higher gain tones because to me it cuts well without sounding brittle. As you know none will sound like actually having a real guitar cabinet "in the room" but to me these Celestions sound more like what I want to hear. More raw and not overly processed. They sound more Celestion, go figure, than IRs from other companies IMO with that distinct British flavor and ability to cut through really well.

I don't usually use post EQ but when I do I don't boost more than 3-6 db and try to keep the Q as narrow as possible in order to achieve what I'm looking for. Sometimes with the Celestions I use the cabinet controls to boost the low end .5-2 db. I haven't had post EQ add "background noise" before. How much are you boosting your post EQ?

3. bigbadoange

bigbadoange Well-Known Member

One can definately get lost in the rabbit hole of IRs, lol. I purchased a few redwirez packs, I REALLY like the way the folders are organized. They spend some time on the website explaining how to chose an IR. Just like in the real world, what microphone, where is it placed, and what speaker cabinet makes a huge difference in the tone. The folder structure, I believe, goes speaker cab, microphone, placement of microphone. For one cab, and one microhone there are about 15 placements. So a typical folder could be marshall 4x12, royer 121, then the IRs would be listed as; Center cap 1" from speaker, Edge of center cap 1"from speaker, center of cone 1" per speaker, edge of cone 1"from speaker etc etc. To me, this finally made sense as it was so comparable to the real world. I very much dislike the darkness of IR's that are not on centercap or edgecap. So very quickly I KNOW which IRs not to waste my time on.

4. Shooweri

Shooweri Member

Thanks for replying so rapidly guys. I'm thinking of buying Celestion IR pack for sure. The tone I'm after is hot rodded high gain Marshall style and the Celestion cab pack will most likely get me close without too much EQing. I've had to boost post EQ about 1-1,5db per frequency to get more bite and bark from the midrange. I'm using the Friedman BE and HBE amp models most of the time. Stock cabs are nowhere near the sound I'm after.

The background noise can be caused by grounding problems in the house I currently live. I'm planning to move in the end of this year and I hope it gets rid of the noise as well. Lets see.

5. Krzysiek

Krzysiek Member

I have bought a few Celestion packs but non of them became my favourite one. After some initial excitement, mostly because they sound somehow more detailed, now I can't stand them in either live or recording patches. They all lack some low end and sound very sterile, flat and soft... for lack of better terms ;) I mostly use high gain 5150 model. For live playing through a FRFR or PA the 3sigma Zilla Fat Boy 2x12 is just pure gem. Lately I just add a few db in post EQ around 1.2-2.6 kHz and thats all. But for recording I prefer some newer Ownhammer ones like OH Recto V70 or OH 412 MAR-CB V30 (this could be nice for the HBE sound I guess).

6. Shooweri

Shooweri Member

Thanks for replying man. The problem with the Axe II was it felt and sounded too processed and sterile. I've to think about this and search more info on the subject so I can deicide which IRs to buy. Marshall cabs will surely be my favorites since I like to have a lot of midrange and definition. Pickups make a huge difference and I've been very satisfied with harmonically rich bridge pups which have good amount of high mids, such as Duncan Pegasus, 59/Custom Hybrid and DiMarzio Fred.

7. AtomicAtom

AtomicAtom Member

I would highly recommend cabIR Orange OR-4X12_G12H30 files...these are astonishing. I have them in Torpedo Live with Plexi and Atomic...these IRs are pure magic I tell you. I use mixed microphone speaker A file...among many others they offer with all possible combos of cab speaker and mic.

This guy plays same IR on Atomic Amplifire.