A collection of effects presets

Discussion in 'Preset Exchange' started by matticus, Feb 7, 2017.

1. matticus

matticus Active Member

I've tried to assemble in one place all of the various times I've responded to effects requests. I'll try to upload a preset that combines some of these later, that way it's easier to copy the block.

Edit: I've uploaded a patch, "Matticus FX," to this post that includes base presets for emulations of a DC2 chorus, EVH phaser, Electric Mistress flanger, and the soft digital diffusion delay.

CHORUS

Ballpark for Boss CE2
    Code:
    Chorus        Active
    Cho Insert    Pre
    Cho Level     0.0 db
    Cho Mix       50%
    Cho Speed     0.10 - 3.5 Hz (Rate at max around here)
    Cho Depth     varies
    Cho Delay     5-50 ms (try the 5-7ms range, somewhat proportional to speed)
    Cho Lowcut    50 Hz
    Cho Highcut   6.6 kHz
    Cho Wave      100%
    Cho Voices    1

Ballpark for Dimension C (partially based on Dim D data)
    Code:
    Chorus        Active
    Cho Insert    Pre
    Cho Level     0.0 db
    Cho Mix       50%
    Cho Speed     0.25 Hz (modes 1, 2)  0.5 Hz (modes 3) (...doing the math on 4, maybe 0.75)
    Cho Depth     varies, try 50% for mode 1, 75% for modes 2, 3, 85% for mode 4
    Cho Delay     5-50 ms (try the 5-7ms range)
    Cho Lowcut    50Hz (still have to do the math here)
    Cho Highcut   20.0kHz
    Cho Wave      100%
    Cho Voices    3
    Cho Mix 1     0.0 db
    Cho Pan 1     -1.0
    Cho Phase 1   0 deg
    Cho Mix 2     0.0 db
    Cho Pan 2     1.0
    Cho Phase 2   90 deg
    Cho Mix 3     0.0 db
    Cho Pan 3     0.0
    Cho Phase 3   180 deg

Here's a first shot at a Dimension C mode 2. Anyone guess the song?

mix 50%
    width 100%
    speed 0.50 Hz
    depth 75%
    delay 5.0ms
    low 20Hz
    high 20kHz
    wave 100%
    voices 3
    pan 1 (-1.00)
    pan 2 (1.00)
    pan 3 (0.00)

Ballpark for TC SCF (mess with the width too, since it's a stereo chorus, still working on it)
    Code:
    Cho Speed     0.10 - 10 Hz
    Cho Delay     5-15ms
    Cho Lowcut    20 Hz
    Cho Highcut   20.0 kHz
    Cho Wave      100%
    Cho Voices    1

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 26, 2017
    Imerkat, Edo, Ziggybumwah and 2 others like this.
  2. matticus

matticus Active Member

DELAY

Think of the diffusion parameter as a second feedback control. The manual uses the term "cross-coupling", which means, if I understand it correctly, that the output of A is fed into B and vice versa. It can be another tool to create a pseudo-reverb wash or another source for oscillation.

Think of the flutter parameter, as well as the filter speed, as a chorus in the repeats of the delay. This is where you could add your "wow and flutter" for a tape echo like the Echorec, the chorus and vibrato settings for a Deluxe Memory Man, the modulation for a Carbon Copy.

For example, the modulation rate has a range from 0.20 to 2.20 Hz in the Carbon Copy.

Here are some examples of this.

All delays are post and parallel, set to 100% width, but without ping pong enabled. The echo EQ was set to 150 Hz and 15.0 kHz. Drive was set to 0%. 32 bits. Flutter and speed were set to 40% and 0.90 Hz, respectively, unless otherwise noted. Diffusion was set to 90%, unless otherwise noted. Each delay was set to 75% feedback, unless otherwise noted. Delay 1 is set to a half note, set center (0.0). Delay 2 is set to a quarter note, set right (1.0). Delay 3 is set to a dotted eighth note, set left (-1.0). The delay tempo was 97 bpm.

0:00 - 0:43 | Analog | 100% feedback for delay 3, 100% diffusion
    0:43 - 1:50 | Tape
    1:50 - 2:29 | Dark Tape
    2:29 - 3:34 | Soft Digital
    3:34 - 4:03 | Soft Digital | 60% flutter, 4.40 Hz
    4:03 - 4:22 | Soft Digital | 75% flutter, 4.40 Hz
    4:22 - 4:59 | Soft Digital | 75% flutter, 0.45 Hz, 75% diffusion

Code:
    Insert      Post
    Type        Soft Digital
    Config      Parallel (4 Tap if you want more feedback)
    Level       to taste (try -15.0 dB for a "solo" thing)
    Width       100% (for stereo)
    Dry Lvl     0.0 dB
    1 Tempo     Half
    1 Fdbk      75%
    1 Mix       0.0 dB
    1 Pan       0.00
    Lowcut      150 Hz
    Hicut       4.0 kHz (play with this setting too)
    Flutter     40%
    FltrSpd     0.90 Hz
    Diffusion   80% (try 40-80, past that be mindful of feedback)
    Drive       0%
    Bits        32
    2 Tempo     Quarter
    2 Fdbk      75%
    2 Mix       0.0 dB
    2 Pan       1.00
    3 Tempo     Dotted Eighth
    3 Fdbk      75%
    3 Mix       0.0 dB
    3 Pan       -1.00
    Buckets     8192

Deluxe Memory Man

The first two sections use my DMM "vibrato" settings. The second pair use my DMM "chorus" settings. The last section uses a rhythmic riff and switches ping pong on and off. I've tried to include long and short note duration to hear how both sound.

Code:
    Insert      Post
    Type        Soft Digital
    Config      4 tap (I'm only using one delay for the clip, though)
    Level       0.0dB (normally, this would be lower, but for demonstration purposes...)
    Dry Lvl     0.0 dB
    1 Tempo     376ms
    1 Fdbk      50%
    1 Mix       0.0 dB
    1 Pan       0.00
    Lowcut      50 Hz
    Hicut       5.0 kHz (try lower, if you'd like)
    Flutter     70% for vibrato; 40% for chorus
    FltrSpd     4.40Hz for vibrato; 0.90Hz for chorus
    Diffusion   0%
    Drive       5%
    Bits        32
    Buckets     8192

I'll get to the recommendations, but I'd like to share some of what I've been learning about delays. I'm definitely not an expert here; so while how I'm explaining some of this might not be perfect, the information is good. (There's somewhat of a point in here, I hope.)

With analog delays, there's a push-pull relationship using bucket-brigade chips between fidelity/bandwidth and delay time. If you want more fidelity, you're going to have to give up some delay time. For example, the classic Deluxe Memory Man (DMM) uses two of the infamous MN3005 chips. It is a 4096-stage chip (think capacitors, albeit leaky ones). When this is calculated with a sampling clock frequency (stages/[2*f^clock]), we are setting two things: bandwidth and delay time. If, say, we choose 10 kHz, we get 204.8 ms per chip. This also means that the filter will need to be half, if not one-third, the clock frequency in order to filter out unwanted ticks and noises and whines (oh my!) (see Nyquist frequency). That means, in theory, the filter will be up to about 5 kHz. But that kind of perfection assumes a perfect world with a perfectly calibrated pedal and so on. In reality, it's probably a percentage lower. Now, repeat this a bunch of times with a high delay time, and then repeat it again when it's fed back through for your ambient long repeats, and those leaky capacitors (stages) account for the darkening of the repeats (filter is lowering) and signal strength. Hence my turning on the bucket brigade parameter in Amplifire. Maybe @StudioDevil could confirm some of this work?

So, in summary, that's why I set my highcut to around 4 kHz. A real DMM also has a lower lowcut, around 50 Hz, but I usually set mine a little higher (100-150 Hz).

While the Carbon Copy is different, we should be able to figure it out. I've seen conflicting information as to how many BL3208 chips it uses, which is a 2048-stage chip, so I'm going to use four, because that's the only way I can think of that they get 600 ms out of their delay. (2048*4)/(2*6800 Hz) = 602 ms. Now, assuming that the pedal is calibrated there, that could mean a low-pass ("hicut") filter around 3.6 kHz. But because there's four of them, we're assuming some loss (that I don't know how to calculate yet), try between 1.0-2.5 kHz and see what happens.

tl;dr: I don't know how the CC is calibrated, but, using some fuzzy math, I bet you could use my delay settings above but change the hicut filter to somewhere between 1.0-2.5 kHz and get reasonably close.

Lukather "Circular Delay" settings

Code:
    Insert      Post
    Type        Soft Digital
    Config      4 Tap
    Level       -15.0 dB
    Dry Lvl     0.0 dB
    1 Tempo     292ms
    1 Fdbk      40%
    1 Mix       -3.0 dB
    1 Pan       -1.00
    Lowcut      20 Hz
    Hicut       15.0 kHz
    Flutter     0%
    FltrSpd     1.0 Hz
    Diffusion   42%
    Drive       0%
    Bits        32
    2 Tempo     584ms
    2 Fdbk      40%
    2 Mix       0.0 dB
    2 Pan       1.00
    3 Tempo     888ms
    3 Fdbk      30%
    3 Mix       0.0 dB
    3 Pan       0.00

Some examples of it playing stuff that isn't Lukather, oddly enough. The "JiveTurkey" delay alters the type to tape echo and lowers the high cut to around 4 kHz or so.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2017
    Vicus, Matthijs, JerEvil and 5 others like this.
  3. matticus

matticus Active Member

PHASER

General Info on the Phaser effect
    Code:
    Insert   pre or post
    Level    sets how integrated the phaser is to your overall tone
    Depth    sets the depth of the LFO sweep; higher depth means more (Univibe) throb (be careful here)
    Width    want a stereo vibe? (has to be "post" to work)
    Speed    sets the LFO frequency rate of the sweep (e.g., 0.60 – 4.00Hz)
    Sweep    sets amount of info, the range of those notch filters
    Regen    aka “feedback”, “resonance”; sets how pronounced the notches are; set low for Univibe
    Wave     shape of the wave, from triangle to sine
    Duty     adjusts rise/fall time; manual suggests 100% for "barberpole"
    Phase    try 45, 90, 180
    Stages    sets the number of phase circuits; increase these for complexity, range
    Base Frq  controls the span of the notch filters
    Type      log or lin

Okay, so, for the Univibe, which is a four-stage phaser (3+1), you'll want to set the level based on how dirty your tone is and how well you want it to meld into your overall tone. For depth, higher depth means more throb, but you want this setting to work together with your overall level. Or not. For Univibe speed, I would recommend trying the suggested range above. Make sure you set the regenerations very low for your Univibe or it's going to sound dumb. Feedback is really helpful and key with phaser settings, but not for Univibe. (Set it to 100% and you'll hear why.) Use either 90 or 180 degrees for the phase.

Univibe

Initially, I'm goofing around on the first few bars of Bridge of Sighs with the sweep settings to see/show what that effect has. The middle is demonstrating the duty at 100%, 0%, and 50%. Then the phase, which I move from 90 to 180 in the last big section, around 2:42. The last section is showing a clean sound with "Us and Them".

Bridge of Sighs
    Code:
    Insert   Pre
    Level    -6.0dB
    Depth    85%
    Width    100% (if you want stereo)
    Speed    0.80Hz
    Sweep    100%
    Regen    0%
    Wave     0%
    Duty     50%
    Phase    180º
    Stages    4
    Base Frq  150Hz
    Type      Log

Us and Them
    Speed 0.60Hz

More of the MXR phaser thing
    Code:
    Insert   Pre
    Level    0.0dB
    Depth    85%
    Width    100% (if you want stereo)
    Speed    0.27Hz
    Sweep    100%
    Regen    0%
    Wave     100%
    Duty     50%
    Phase    90º
    Stages    1
    Base Frq  120Hz
    Type      Log

4. Guitar1969

Guitar1969 Senior Member

Cool. Nice to have everything in one central place.

Wondering if it would be better for you to create separate indiv threads for each of these effects just for organization, and convenience in searching and replies on a specific effect.

Have you had any luck with a Carbon Copy delay patch?

Atomic Opera likes this.
  5. matticus

matticus Active Member

Oh, that's not a bad idea! That way other people could add theirs too, if they wanted? Like that?

Try the DMM settings but lower the high cut to 2 kHz and change the type of tape echo?

6. SeanD

SeanD New Member

These patches sound great! Especially the delay patches!

7. Mrkiammi

Mrkiammi Member

i love this thread :) great job guys making these patches! :cool:

JiveTurkey likes this.
  8. guarjol

guarjol Member

Thank you very much. Sound really great.

9. Chris Hayden

Chris Hayden Active Member

I'm still using the chorus formula that you wrote up for me on TGP a while back. I get a lot of compliments on it.
    I'll have to give the phase and some of the delays Rx a whirl now. Thank you so much for lending us a hand at taming these effects perimeters.

matticus likes this.
  10. JiveTurkey

JiveTurkey Well-Known Member

D@mn man you do great work! Thanks for all you do! I feel great pride in having a delay named after me :D

Wyatt McConnell and matticus like this.
  11. matticus

matticus Active Member

Thanks, everyone. Happy to help. I'm slowly but surely trying to extend my presets to sound a little more like what I've gotten requests for. Some won't be perfect but there's definitely some flexibility in these algorithms to do a number of things.

Aside from going straight to the zero-thru flanger mode, I'm still trying to get a handle on the flanger on here. It's been a head scratcher for me...

How could I NOT name one JiveTurkey?? Haha

12. Guitar1969

Guitar1969 Senior Member

The Ultimate challenge for @matticus....

Making an Ice Delay effect sound from only what is availalabe onboard the Atomic.....And I expect it done in 30 minutes ...... HaHa.

In all serious, you make some great effects, and soley were responsible for instilling faith in my ability to use the onboard delay for more than straight forward delays. I was getting ready to go the AX8 route just for better control and better delays/reverbs, but ended up keeping my AF and ditching my outboard Boss DD-500 delay. At this point now all I am using is a Boss RV-6 Reverb, and a TC Elect Alter Ego Delay in the loop, paired up with the AF delays for the more ambient stuff.

I am at a point right now where I am not creating much in the way of new patches, as I found myself tweaking too much and playing/practicing enough.

Still would think it would be revolutionary for Atomic to create a way to save individual effects parameters (with naming) that could be recalled and used in the other patches, but know they are working on some other more pressing improvements.

13. Smitty57

Smitty57 Member

Thanks!

14. JiveTurkey

JiveTurkey Well-Known Member

Phaser settings are absolutely outstanding. For those of you with an AA12; no need for any outboard bs save for wah and octave. These settings are legit \m/ Great work @matticus

JerEvil likes this.
  15. Dave_5150

Dave_5150 Well-Known Member

These are brilliant, thanks. I'm using your settings for all my clean and lead live patches now :) I just need to tweak my reverb settings now.

matticus likes this.
  16. falconbill

falconbill Member

Thanks for the explanations matt. Very helpful info.

matticus likes this.
  17. Riffmagus

Riffmagus Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Just been trying some of these out with my current favourite HBE patch -

Wow. So much detail and great sounds - I consider myself a tweaker at times, but really have to doff my virtual hat for you taking the time out to tpye all this up and go into detail. Much appreciated to just show what is possible 'in the box' and a sterling product the Amplifire is.

matticus likes this.
  18. mosola2

mosola2 Member

............ (I'm speechless)

But a few loud WOWs was heard when I tried some of the settings. Especially the univibey phaser. But most of all the Z Wreck-patch you uploaded in another thread. A big thank you from me!

Now I just need to figure out how to get these sounds when I'm building patches and tweaking to my taste because obviously I have a lot to learn ;-)

Madmax, matticus and Wyatt McConnell like this.
  19. Wyatt McConnell

Wyatt McConnell Senior Member

Yeah, the phaser stuff up there...wildly expanded my enjoyment of the amplifire as a whole.

20. matticus

matticus Active Member

I definitely put in a lot of work here, so I am very glad to hear you are all enjoying these. It is very encouraging.

Thank you for that comment about the Z Wreck. It is the one that I was most reluctant to upload, because I can't decide if I like the cab mix I used.