AA#: Background hum and buzz

Discussion in 'Support' started by Tobijohn, Oct 13, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Tobijohn

Tobijohn New Member

Hi all,

I get a god awful hum and buzz that's really pronounced with any gain applied. I've tried different power sources after an internet search for a solution indicated that might be the problem but no luck. Other solid state and tube amps connected to the same outlet worked fine as did other guitars so it's not that.

However, Once the USB cable is connected from the unit to a port on my PC, the background noise disappears completely. As I mentioned before, i did an internet search prior to posting here and while others have reported the same problem, no one ever posted a solution other than trying a different power source.

Nothing is connected to the AA3 other than the guitar and headphones. I'm thinking it's some sort of grounding issue. Any opinions? TIA...

2. Tobijohn

Tobijohn New Member

I forgot to mention, I've got the latest firmware as well...

3. Jem

Jem Active Member

I've had this happen when the usb port was connected to the AA6 but not the computer. It doesn't happen when the USB is not connected to the AA6. Nor does it happen when it is connected to both the AA6 and the computer.

4. Eric Raymond

Eric Raymond Well-Known Member

Really need to go wireless on the USB. It isolates the two devices dramatically reducing noise (as well as giving you more flexibility where the laptop is located ... and not worrying about it being pulled to the floor when someone trips on the usb cable.

FYI, virtualhere works pretty well for USB over wifi. https://www.virtualhere.com/hardware Free to use for one usb device at a time. Just a happy customer.

5. Ryan W

Ryan W Member

Its most likely grounding issues, try the af3 on different outlets in your house and see if you can find one that is grounded correctly. I had a headrush frfr that was humming real bad. im not recommending this but what I did was pull the ground plug from an old power cord and tried it, all humming stopped. the better thing to do is to get your wall outlet grounded correctly. Also make sure your noise gate is setup correctly.