AA Linux Editor

Discussion in 'Wishlist' started by Tom, Feb 20, 2017.

1. Tom

Tom Member

Hi guys !

I'm a very happy Linux (Linux Mint) user :) and I think I'm not the only one...
    It would be amazing to get the AA's editor fully compatible with Linux Ubuntu based !!

Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
    Marcus Baw, UnnoTed, Luke and 2 others like this.
  2. Dave_5150

Dave_5150 Senior Member

Marcus Baw likes this.
  3. Tom

Tom Member

Yes ! WIth Wine, I can launch the editor but I still get the same message : "Please connect Amplifire". Whatever I do, there's no connection at all :-(
    If I reboot my PC with Window$ (cause I have a dual boot), the editor works perfectly.

Marcus Baw likes this.
  4. bioboy

bioboy Well-Known Member

working dead...
    Wine does not map usb devices without an appropriate driver
    try to map the usb as generic usb storage device, run "dmesg" in the terminal and check where is the reference to AA for example usb3 (must be a line referring to the input of the device), now go to Drives tab inside Wine Configuration menu and add a generic usb driver in the path (for this example /dev/usb3) hope this can help

Last edited: Feb 21, 2017
    Marcus Baw likes this.
  5. Tom

Tom Member

I tried your tip, but unfortunately it didn't work :-(
    Does it work for you ?

6. bioboy

bioboy Well-Known Member

working dead...
    I'm actually on my mac but I'm sure that the problem is the driver (last wine version should recognize the usb device without any problem) later this night I will try to find the right driver with my linux pc (some generic IO driver should be fine for AA cause it's not an audio interface)

7. Tom

Tom Member

Thanks a lot !!
    I updated Wine 1.8 to 2.2 (staging) -> same result :-(

Marcus Baw likes this.
  8. bioboy

bioboy Well-Known Member

working dead...
    Hey in the meantime you can turn around the problem by using a VM! ;)

9. Flonka

Flonka Active Member

Yeah, would be cool to be able to use some well known linux distro to run the editor in. Is this even remotely on some road map? :)

EDIT: I was playing with the idea in my mind, of being able to for instance use a Raspberry PI, or similiar computer for this cause.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
    Marcus Baw likes this.
  10. Pepi

Pepi Well-Known Member

I've been using a VM for mine. I tried it with WINE and get an error without a log file :( All my other editors works with WINE. Zoom, ToneLab ....

11. Teejoo

Teejoo Member

Would the editor work on the Windows 10 version you can install on the Raspberry Pi?

12. Dag Petersson

Dag Petersson New Member

The Windows 10 version for Raspberry Pi is only for IoT (Internet of Things) devices and so on. It only have a limited version of Windows 10

Marcus Baw likes this.
  13. aztekyi

aztekyi Member

+1 for Linux support

Marcus Baw likes this.
  14. floupcri

floupcri New Member

Hi all !
    I got the editor working/connecting on wine, thanks to https://wiki.winehq.org/Hid
    This is on Arch linux with current wine package from official repo (2.13).Pedal is turned on and connected to a usb port on the computer.Editor is not running.

Find which hidraw driver the amplifire is using :
    Code:
    $ dmesg | grep -i atomic
    [    3.098292] hid-generic 0003:04D8:003F.0005: hiddev0,hidraw2: USB HID v1.11 Device [Atomic Amps AmpliFire] on usb-0000:00:14.0-6/input0
    [  388.928847] hid-generic 0003:04D8:003F.0006: hiddev0,hidraw2: USB HID v1.11 Device [Atomic Amps AmpliFire] on usb-0000:00:14.0-6/input0

Amplifire uses hidraw2 in my case.

Change permissions to allow RW for users on /dev/hidraw2 (Change the hidraw number to the one you got on previous command) :
    Code:
    $ sudo chmod 666 /dev/hidraw2
    Done !
    Start editor now...

Marcus Baw, Flonka, Dave_5150 and 2 others like this.
  15. Marcus Baw

Marcus Baw Member

+1

I also managed to get the editor working on Linux using the WINE Windows compatibility layer for Linux, on Linux Mint 18.3. As far as I can tell all functionality works perfectly.

Some tips:

1) ensure you are using a recent version of WINE - the standard version from the Xenial Ubuntu repositories (from which Linux Mint 18.3 is descended) was WINE 1.6 which did not work. I upgraded to a newer version (wine-2.21 (Staging)) using https://wiki.winehq.org/Ubuntu which did work once the permissions of hidraw were set as in the preceding post in this thread.

2) the permissions settings `sudo chmod 666 /dev/hidrawX` don't seem to be persistent, so this step may need to be done each time you reconnect or reboot. Also, the Amplifire may connect on different HID devices at different times, so you may need to keep checking which device it's connected to using `dmesg | grep -i atomic`. It's possible to make these changes persistent using a udev rule, but I haven't quite sorted out how to do this and will post again when I've got a working udev rule.

Mandy91 and Flonka like this.
  16. Flonka

Flonka Active Member

Trying the VM way now, I find myself at a problem , getting the AA12 to be recognized as an USB device. Do i need to add some kind of USB driver support as other replies in this thread has mentioned?

Marcus Baw likes this.
  17. Flonka

Flonka Active Member

Following floupcri's and Marcus Baw's instructions , I got it running on WINE on Debian 8. Thanks guys. I installed staging version of wine, wine-2.21 (Staging).

Marcus Baw and aleclee like this.
  18. Mandy91

Mandy91 New Member

Thanks everyone for the great additions to get this working on Linux.

I have used the following udev rule (in /etc/udev/rules.d/10-local.rules) to automatically set the permissions right when plugging in the Amplifire.

BUS=='usb',ATTRS{manufacturer}=="Atomic Amps",KERNEL="hidraw[0-9]",MODE=0666

Restart udev after adding the rule sudo systemctl restart udev to activate the rule.

I have used this on Ubuntu 16.04 with Wine 3.0 and Amplifire Editor 5.0.3.1

Flonka likes this.
  19. Flonka

Flonka Active Member

Thanks, your post spurred me on to try and write an udev rule, which I had not done until now. Managed to get it working here with:

SUBSYSTEMS=="usb", ATTRS{manufacturer}=="Atomic Amps", MODE="0666"

http://www.reactivated.net/writing_udev_rules.html

20. Marcus Baw

Marcus Baw Member

Thanks for the udev rules @Flonka and @Mandy91

Weirdly, considering I had this working a couple of weeks ago, I can't now get it to work on Linux. I had to use a Win10 VM to update the firmware just now, which has been successful, so I am on latest everything AFAICT, and I know the USB cable works etc!)

Firmware: 5.0.3 on the AA3
    Editor 5.0.3.1 on Linux
    Wine 3.9 (staging)

Setting the udev rules as above just doesn't work (the AA editor says 'Please Connect AmpliFIRE' despite restarting udev, reboots etc)

I've tried checking which hidraw device the Amplifire has connected to (using dmesg | grep -i atomic ) and then manually setting the permissions on hidraw ( with sudo chmod 666 /dev/hidraw2 )

Here's my current udev rule, where as you can see I also added a GROUP rule because listing /dev/hidraw* showed the device is owned by root, but I don't think it should matter.

Code:
    $ cat /etc/udev/rules.d10-local.rules
    SUBSYSTEMS=="usb", ATTRS{manufacturer}=="Atomic Amps", MODE=="0666", GROUP=="plugdev"
    Code:
    $ ls -l /dev/hidraw*         
    crw-rw----+ 1 root root 246, 0 Jun  4 16:04 /dev/hidraw0
    crw-rw-rw-  1 root root 246, 1 Jun  4 17:57 /dev/hidraw1
    crw-rw----+ 1 root root 246, 2 Jun  4 16:04 /dev/hidraw2
    crw-rw----+ 1 root root 246, 3 Jun  4 16:04 /dev/hidraw3
    crw-------  1 root root 246, 4 Jun  4 16:04 /dev/hidraw4

Weirdly, every time I unplug and replug the AA, it now adds a new device to dmesg, so I am now up to device 14... not sure if this is right, although if dmesg is a kind of log of kernel messages then maybe all the preceding ones are now only there because it's a log, rather than persistent devices/conflicting connections.
    Code:
    [ 6767.576442] usb 1-2: new full-speed USB device number 14 using xhci_hcd
    [ 6767.723230] usb 1-2: New USB device found, idVendor=04d8, idProduct=003f
    [ 6767.723232] usb 1-2: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=0
    [ 6767.723233] usb 1-2: Product: AmpliFire
    [ 6767.723234] usb 1-2: Manufacturer: Atomic Amps
    [ 6767.726519] hid-generic 0003:04D8:003F.0012: hiddev1,hidraw1: USB HID v1.11 Device [Atomic Amps AmpliFire] on usb-0000:00:14.0-2/input0

Anyone any ideas?