AA6 Footswitch Malfunction

Discussion in 'Support & Bug Reporting' started by Bora İnce, May 26, 2019.

1. Bora İnce

Bora İnce Member

Hello everyone, I have a problem with a footswitch on my AA6. When I press on it , it sometimes registers two very fast clicks , turning the effect on and off in an instant. Sometimes it doesn't register at all. I need to press multiple times to get the effect on. I also had the same issue with the AA3 I had before this and a friend of mine also has this issue on his AA6. Has anyone experienced this before?

2. JoeInOttawa

JoeInOttawa Senior Member

Yes. Your footswitch is not actually a switch, but, rather, a plunger that compresses a spring that pushes the "blister-pack" style button on a board. It is more than likely an issue with the spring sticking on the plunger. I sprayed mine with contact cleaner (through the switch) and it seemed to resolve the problem. I'm not sure if it cleaned/freed the spring, or if the cleaner trickled down to the switch and cleared it, but it did resolve the issue for me.

That said, go sparing on the cleaner, and work the switch a lot as the cleaner sinks in. That's what worked for me, and, of course, YMMV.

Jace Nuzback likes this.
  3. Bora İnce

Bora İnce Member

Thank you. I tried a WD40 equivalent but it didn't really help. I'll try again with the real deal.

4. JoeInOttawa

Oh, god, no, don't use WD-40. That'll make a mess. What you now need is this:
    MG Chemicals 409B Electrosolve Zero Residue Contact Cleaner.

If you were pretty light with the WD-40 and haven't gunked it up too badly, you could also try MG Chemicals 801B Super Contact Cleaner with PP. I prefer this one, but it works best with a clean surface, and WD-40 might interfere with it. In your shoes, I might be tempted to try both -- start with the cleaner, and a week or so later, use the conditioner.

Those are both available on Amazon, but I expect you can get them at your local electronics store.

Good luck!

Last edited: May 28, 2019
  5. Bora İnce

Bora İnce Member

Damn, I thought WD-40 was the thing to use. I'll look into these, thanks a lot.

6. JoeInOttawa

No worries!

I probably should have been more specific. WD-40 is great for cleaning and lubing "things," but you need something more purpose-built when cleaning and lubing "electronics..."

7. Bora İnce

Bora İnce Member

Got it. Thanks again!

8. Bora İnce

Bora İnce Member

I'm happy to say that the contact cleaner worked, thanks once more!

JoeInOttawa likes this.
  9. JoeInOttawa

Great to hear. It worked for me too, but, knowing what the mechanism is, I could not tell you why.

But I'm trying not to be one who looks a gift horse in the mouth, so...

:)