AA6 or Hotone Ampero ?

Discussion in 'Discussion' started by Dagwin, Feb 4, 2019.

1. Dagwin

Dagwin Well-Known Member

I got a good offer on my AA3 and have sold it.
    Now in doubt between the AA6 and the newly announced Hotone Ampero:
    http://www.hotoneaudio.com/news/297.html

The AA6 has the advantage that I can just restore my AA3 backup and I will be on my way.
    As a plus I will have 6 buttons and can use the pitch block now.

The Hotone Ampero would require getting used to and create new presets.
    One disadvantage seems to be that the effect blocks are fixed and the noise gate has been placed between the amp and cab blocks...
    Advantages over the AA6: touchscreen, can be used as audio interface and has a dedicated acoustics mode.
    It's also quite a bit cheaper than the AA6.

Any thoughts ?

And anybody an idea about the DSP power of the AA6 compared to the Ampero ?

2. lespauled

lespauled Well-Known Member

If you're looking for an unbiased response, might want to ask this on a forum other than a forum for one of those products :)

DreamTheaterRules and Madmax like this.
  3. Dagwin

Dagwin Well-Known Member

Biased answers are just fine ;-)
    Wanted to hear thoughts of like-minded (so amplifire biased) minds.

Atomic just announced the bass pedal, so for sure they are not going to release an AA6 with touch screen, USB audio interface, drum and looper soon.
    So we have options :)

Big advantage for AA6: we already know it sounds good.
    But the Ampero has all the nice-to-have's and is cheaper.

Noone heard them at NAMM by any chance ?

4. Dave_5150

Dave_5150 Senior Member

My biased view is that the Ampero's competitors are more likely be the Joyo Gem Box III, NUX Cerberus and Mooer GE200/300 than Atomic, Helix, Headrush or Fractal. I'm happy to be proved wrong though and I'm keen to hear how they sound once they are in the wild and getting reviews.

5. Vsthem

Vsthem Active Member

FWIW, the Ampero is the exact form factor that I would love for Atomic to make: 4 switches in a line and a built in expression pedal.

6. Matt

Matt Well-Known Member

What’s more important to you? Amp sound and feel or features?

7. DreamTheaterRules

DreamTheaterRules Well-Known Member

Mortgage Banker
    This idea definitely has merit for down the road! I was thinking 6 and an expression pedal, so a longer version of the current AA6 would be KILLER, IMHO.

8. NelsonP

NelsonP Senior Member

Hmm. I'm starting to put modellers into the 'original' (Helix, Axe FX, Kemper, Amplifire, Headrush) vs 'derivative' categories (Mooer, Hotone).

And I'm thinking the derivative ones won't be as good and will have poor support. Just my perception, but perception is reality as they say.

I would buy an Amplifire 6 instead, especially as Atomic seem to be on a roll at the moment.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
  9. Dagwin

Dagwin Well-Known Member

Agree on the sound/feel that Atomic is great here and the fact that they are on a roll when it comes to support and firmware updates.

However, if you want a looper, drum/metronome, audio interface or expression pedal these are extra costs which you don't have have with the Ampero.

That being said, I ordered the AA6 from Andertons.
    Having already experience with the amplifire and the possibility to re-use my presets tipped the ball to Atomic camp.
    Sadly though, expected delivery is end of the month :(
    So for the next 3 weeks, I have dusted off my Randall RG-13 (which is also for sale, but generates a lot less interest than the AA3 for sale).

10. mildew

mildew Active Member

I have not used the Ampero, but i did have one of the Mooer Micro preamps for a few weeks, and it was ok but not nearly as good a Amplifire.

11. Dave_5150

Dave_5150 Senior Member

Bought an Ampero on Friday and I'm returning it tomorrow. Lots of features in a great looking package but not for me in terms of sound or user experience right now.

Dagwin and MSDTrinity like this.
  12. Dagwin

Dagwin Well-Known Member

Still waiting for the AA6 to arrive. I sold some old stuff and got me a boss GT-1 with a discount.
    Perfect to quickly record something on computer and has a looper, perfect for quiet practice anywhere without having to demount the AA from the pedalboard.

Soundwise it is miles and miles away from the AA, but it 'll do for practicing.

13. Dave_5150

Dave_5150 Senior Member

I had a GT-1 as a backup for a while but I wasn't keen. I've ended up with two AA12's now :)

14. Dagwin

Dagwin Well-Known Member

Lol, outside my budget I'm afraid. The GT-1 sounds are definitely a few steps below the AA, but usable for practicing.
    Besides that, I have now a looper and can record.

15. Carl3o3

Carl3o3 Member

Now Nou can use the gt1 and aa6 together. Using the looper from the gt1 recording a clean riff so sou can easily edit the aa6 :)

16. Carl3o3

Carl3o3 Member

And by the way, I had an aa3 and never got the convincing tones I heard from people demoing it on youtube. Never got the same dynamics. I thought I had maybe a lemon. But I was most disappointed about the editor. So in the end I sold it and bought a gt100 wich I love. Much easier to get good enough sounds for me and the editor is a joy to work with.
    But now after after seeing so much reviews on youtube I'm thinking about getting an Ampero. I never use the 2 amps option from the gt100 so a gt1 was maybe a better choice but it llacks the option of importing IR's. But then again the gt1 has a more flexible effects chain...

17. Dagwin

Dagwin Well-Known Member

I sent my GT-1 back within the 60 days return period after getting my AA6, couldn't live with the tones. Especially high gain was really artificial compared to the Atomic.

18. Dave_5150

Dave_5150 Senior Member

My GT1 lived in drum stick bag as a back up and I only powered it up once to check it turned on when I sold it.

19. Dave_5150

Dave_5150 Senior Member

I really wanted to like the Ampero but mine was faulty along with a lot of the first batch. They were also asking customers to do internal modifications to correct ground hum problems too. Its got the potential to be quite good once they improve the hardware, firmware and editor though.

Next on the list for me is the Fractal FM3 when I get to the top of their waitlist. But it wont be replacing my AA12.

20. jet66

jet66 Member

I ended up getting a Mooer GE-200 after shopping between it and the Hotone, I wanted something in the $300 and under category as a portable solution vs. hauling a 5153 50 watt head, 2x12, and pedalboard up a flight of stairs for practice. There seemed to be more GE-200 user support (via users sharing presets, not necessarily Mooer itself) and there were a few tones that people had made that I really liked over what I was hearing with the Hotone. It didn't sound bad, mind you, it seems like a decent unit. The aforementioned noise problems were also a concern.

I really liked the Atomic sounds I was hearing, but the Firebox was the only product in stock at the time, and it was too barebones for what I wanted. About 2 or 3 weeks later, the AA6 came back in stock, so I ordered one. I liked the preset tones much more than the Mooer, which were practically unusable out of the box, and I found I was able to dial in my own tones with the AA6 much easier. The variety of tone shaping filters and more control over third party IRs vs. the Mooer sealed the deal: I am gifting the GE-200 to my son, and when they are back in stock, an AA12 will be my next purchase.

There is also a high likelihood I will be selling off my tube amps and cabs, and going all modeler + FRFR. I am currently using a Headrush FRFR112, and I couldn't be happier with the tones I'm getting from it and the AA6 with 3rd party IRs.