AF12 v2

Discussion in 'Discussion' started by Chalky, Aug 14, 2020.

1. Chalky

Chalky Well-Known Member

I’ve had my AF12 for about 4 years now and I can’t help wondering whether Atomic intend to release more firmware or even an upgrade to the hardware in some form. I’m quite happy with what I’ve got, but just can’t help wondering ... has anyone picked up on anything from the Atomic camp?

Paul Wilson likes this.
  2. Paul Wilson

Paul Wilson Active Member

Ditto. Love my AA6, but there are a couple of bugs that should have been fixed as a matter of course. Don't expect any major upgrades, but I hope this means they have been balls-out on an amazing MKII series.

They blew away the competition last time in functionality and design per cost and form factor, but need to leapfrog again. As a measure of how they got it right, I can see the existing models as sought-after classics of great sound, build, affordability and compactness in the future - a real workers tool rather than a plaything.

Let's see a triumphant return!

PaulW

Jace Nuzback likes this.
  3. Quadfire

Quadfire Well-Known Member

I would love to see one more push on the AA to fix some smaller issues. Off the top of my head, I'd love fixes for: the midi bugs, and the wah park tone dropout when switching presets. There's also a lot of "low hanging" usability improvements in the editor possible, and some personal niceties like led color change in offset mode, bank +5, etc. I'm very optimistic that there will be at least one small update for posterity.

Would be ecstatic to see some more features or more complex bugs fixed, but not holding my breath here. Another amp model would either be hit or miss for me (and is more a question of whether or not AA wants to play to their strength or not). Off the top of my head I'd love to see: global eq, global reverb pad/boost (e.g., I'm doing a lot of +2-3 db changes for headphones while sheltering in place), editor stays in sync with preset changes/basic knob changes/effect on-off, long press footswitch assignment, an explicit "block" for volume leveling across presets, perhaps with some magic "auto" level mode that keeps the level the same as you tweak other blocks.

Let's not forget what we love about the AA: Great tones, amazing feel, lots of flexibility (in some places too much, others not not enough), no dropout/lag when switching presets, great price point, form factor, knobs.

And then there's the next evolution of the platform. There's a lot of power trapped in the current device and who knows what capabilities will come in a new device with more effort, raw power/cost of updated components, and smart, creative people like Marc Time will tell....

I have mixed feelings about Atomic investing in MkII versus improving the old. I want both! Luckily it's a workhorse that fills a need and (short of a few shortcomings) is a keeper as-is. We complain and ask for more, but that comes from our love of the current device.

Paul Wilson likes this.
  4. Rayosytruenos

Rayosytruenos Well-Known Member

Guitar
    I'm a little scared with this. I was waiting for AA6 availability in Europe and I finally got mine a few days ago.

So if the MK2 is here soon... Well, I'll say, in advance, that the original model is much better.

5. Rayosytruenos

Guitar
    There is lag in my very new AA6 when switching presets.

Maybe it's not as fast as the AA12?

6. Paul Wilson

My AA6 is pretty much instantaneous at switching presets, BUT the other day I noticed a persistent lag. I also noticed that my connected MIDI controller had crashed. When all was restarted it was fine, but I wonder if the simultaneous boot of the AA6 and my MC6 could cause errors.

It hasn't done it since.

PaulW

7. slateboy

slateboy Senior Member

Home Page:
    I guess the “no comments” is the safest option for atomic, not that its of any use to the user or consumer.
    Leaves the door open to pop up one day with a statement of some kind...
    However, i feel the not knowing raises concern and weakens confidence in us long-term users.
    Those little bugs really should have been sorted given the length of time its been hanging. Leaves me wondering “why?”
    The statement we don't want to hear is “support and/or production discontinued”
    I’ll keep gigging mine but should it ever let me down these factors will influence my choice in a replacement unit.

Johannkleen and Paul Wilson like this.
  8. Quadfire

Small companies have limited resources and multitasking across multiple products is hard for anyone. Perhaps now that the Bass Box is "done" they will have more time to focus on the AA?

Who knows, maybe they are going back to the CLR. Generalizations of the Kemper Kone and Kabinet are intriguing. Suspect components, inventory/storage, and shipping "costs" of these products are different (worse?) than pedals.

Worst case, the AA eventually becomes a DigiTech; devices that are no longer developed and have a niche, loyal following. Hoping there's a new life for the Studio Devil in a box.

Paul Wilson likes this.
  9. Rayosytruenos

Guitar
    You mean you don't notice any lag when changing presets?

I notice no lag when adding effects in a preset, but it's there when changing presets.

10. Paul Wilson

No noticeable lag. I did have briefly on one occasion, but it disappeared on restart of the rig. The lag also applied to effects. Do you have a MIDI controller connected? If so try without, and/or booting them separately, but I think it's a different problem. Best report to the support forum.

PaulW

Rayosytruenos likes this.
  11. Rayosytruenos

Guitar
    Thank you, PaulW.

No midi controller. Just the guitar, the AF6, the wireless and the XLR output to an FRFR.

Very strange. Adding/removing effects is perfect, but there is a little "silence" when changing presets.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2020
  12. Paul Wilson

Just did a quick test - strumming away and changing presets using INCR and DECR on two footswitches. Absolutely no interruption - just notice the change in tone, anything else is so fleeting it's not worth noting.

PaulW

Rayosytruenos likes this.
  13. Rayosytruenos

Guitar
    Ok. I'll check it using two footswitches for incr and decr as soon as I'm at home.

Thank you very much, again.

14. Quadfire

There is a known bug if you have the Wah AUTO-OFF set to INACTIVITY.

If the Wah was inactive and you change the preset, it becomes active again until the timer expires (again). This gives the impression of the sound dropping off for a short period. Probably affects a lot more people that those who realize it. Using a shorter TIMER minimizes this; Using PARKED may work for you.

Hoping there's a bug fix update to the firmware.

15. Rayosytruenos

Guitar
    Thanks.

The wah was bypassed. I tried the Parked mode, but the lag was still there (and the sound was very dark).

As I told before, when I switch on/off any effect it's perfect, but changing presets has always that little... "hole".

Anyway it looks like my AF6 is not working properly, so maybe the lag is also a part of it.

16. Rayosytruenos

Guitar