[AFB] Anyone have a good edge-of-breakup pedal platform Marshall-type preset?

Discussion in 'Preset Exchange' started by Naigewron, Apr 18, 2018.

1. Naigewron

Naigewron Member

Dad, boyfriend, musician, nerd
    What the title says, really. This is for an AFB, but any preset should work, right?

I've found and messed around with a Michael Britt JCM800 preset that's not too shabby, but I'm very curious to test out some others. I'm running a Tumnus and a Screamer-type overdrive into it to make it break up (mostly by boosting the crap out of it - low gain, high output on both pedals).

I'm rewiring my board this week and I want to experiment with putting the AFB last in the chain, running everything in front of it (including modulation, delay and reverb). Going for that classic setup, slamming the front of the "amp" with the pedalboard.

2. slateboy

slateboy Well-Known Member

Home Page:
  3. CMS

CMS Member

Personally, I think the 800 would be a little to much gain for that clean-on-the-edge tone. The plexi is a little cleaner and I think would do a little better for this application.

I would also recommend the Kornford model. It has a huge gain range, and has a really nice clean tone with the gain under 1.5. This amp also can be really dynamic and has a pleasing transition into breakup with picking dynamics etc. I have boosted it with a Timmy in a similar fashion and it works well. Wyatt's clean-to-dirty Kornford preset with the gain dialed back a bit would be a good start

Naigewron likes this.
  4. Naigewron

Naigewron Member

Dad, boyfriend, musician, nerd
    Good shout; hadn't thought about the Plexi as a clean platform. I'll check out the Kornford too. Didn't like the factory Kornford preset much, but there might be something for me there yet

5. slateboy

slateboy Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    I'll second that. The Cornford style is very reminiscent of some Marshall amps.
    I've just added some Plexi/Marshall sounds for free download here:
    http://greendog.co.uk/af/#plexi_style
    Little demo:

The new "Plexi Style" pack includes the sound in this demo + the sounds form the youtube clip:

DMiller and Naigewron like this.