Ampli-Firebox annoying constant sound

Discussion in 'Discussion' started by OasisMcFly, Nov 14, 2017 at 9:25 AM.

1. OasisMcFly

OasisMcFly Member

I love the Ampli-firebox, but when I tried to use it live at my church, it gave me fits. Connecting it to the PA using the built in XLR output made it have a high pitched constant sound, almost like the sound of water running. The sound was not quite hum, and not quite static. That sound overpowered the rest of the signal from the Firebox. Plugging it in through the 1/4 inch output and then to a stand alone DI, seemed to help knock out almost all of the sound, but it also made everything substantially quieter to the point of being unusable. I cranked every setting and the sound guy maxed out my channel as well, but it was still barely audible. I ended up pulling back out my old Line 6 Pod and using it, which incidentally worked perfectly using the exact same cables and channel on the PA.

Later that day, I tested the same configurations with the Firebox at home using my FRFR, and everything was perfect. No weird sound or volume loss at all. So I am stumped. Here is everything I have tried, hopefully one of you awesome people can help me figure out what is going on, otherwise, I may have to return the Firebox, which would kinda stink since I really do like it a lot.

1. Tried to see if it was a power supply issue. I started out running it through my pedalboard power supply, as recommended in this thread: http://atomicamps.com/forum/index.p...-powered-through-pedalboard-power-supply.995/. I then immediately tried using only the original power supply that came with the Firebox. Same sound was present.
    2. I thought it might be some weird bleed-through from the other pedals I was running in front of the Firebox, so I disconnected them and ran only through the Firebox. Same Sound.
    3. I tried to see if the XLR cable going to the PA was bad. Three different XLR cables and two different channels on the PA, all with the same annoying sound.
    4. Tried using two different 1/4 inch cables between the guitar and the firebox. Same Sound.
    5. Swapped out the surge Protector being used. Same sound.
    6. Tried my back up guitar. Same annoying sound.

I ultimately tried every combination of Guitar, 1/4, XLR, etc. Everything worked perfectly in conjunction with the Line 6 POD, but got the annoying sound with the Firebox. However, the Firebox works perfectly through my home rig. It seems to only give me fits when used in conjunction with this PA system. I am playing at another venue this weekend, and I plan to test it out there as well, but I play in this particular church every Sunday, so I either need to find a way to make the Firebox work, or I will have to move to an alternative.

Additionally, I was using factory default settings on the Firebox. I hadn't had time to tweak any of the settings, and frankly I liked the sounds as they were straight out of the box. I tried every preset, and all had the same sound. I also tried changing the CAB IR switch between the Cab XLR/Cab 1/4" as appropriate.

Nothing I tried helped. And I know thats a lot of text to read, but I want to be thorough, and I really need help.

2. ajbolick

ajbolick New Member

When the Firebox was running direct to the PA, was a 48v supply engaged from the soundboard? That could create the issue you are describing, or a ground issue (the firebox has no ground lift). If the DI is passive, it may be that the output DB is severely lowered. I would try double checking the phantom power issue, and possibly another DI.

3. flcmcya

flcmcya Well-Known Member

I run mine just like this issue free.

4. OasisMcFly

OasisMcFly Member

Thanks, I will definitely try that and hopefully it will make a difference. I don’t think I would have ever realized that phantom power could be a culprit.

ajbolick likes this.
  5. ajbolick

ajbolick New Member

Hopefully that fixes the issue (fingers crossed)!

If you do need to use the DI, for whatever reason, try compensating for the volume drop through the passive DI with the gain dial on the soundboard.

6. OasisMcFly

OasisMcFly Member

Tried it again this morning and turned off the phantom power and everything started working perfectly. That was it exactly! Thanks for all the help!

7. mollydyer

mollydyer Well-Known Member

Run a transformer isolated splitter. Send the isolated side to the FOH. The direct side can be used for your monitors or whatever. Or nothing. However, it will prevent damage from noobie sound guys who don't know when phantom is on.

8. Jr.Deluxe

Jr.Deluxe Well-Known Member

Or just buy a 30 dollar direct box and use the 1/4 inch output of the atomic and not the xlr. Cheap insurance.