Amplifire 12 Broken: A Cautionary Tale

Discussion in 'Support & Bug Reporting' started by SteveRoberts, Apr 2, 2020.

1. SteveRoberts

SteveRoberts New Member

Hi Friends,

I've been using my AA12 for about 6 months trouble free; great support and no worries.

Yesterday, I had the editor running after using Logic Pro X, which I quit out of.

The Editor was not able to "connect" to the AA12, so I unplugged USB and powered down/up.

When it came back, the Editor "saw" the AA12 and asked me to do a firmware update. I was pretty certain that I'd been running the most recent firmware, but I decided to follow the prompts.

There, the disaster began. The firmware quit before "updating." The Editor no longer recognized the AA12 when plugged in. All lights on the footswitches are stuck "on," and the unit's interface screen is dark and blank.

Jace was very prompt and helpful in trying to resolve the problem, but ultimately, there appears to be no fix other than sending this back for repairs, likely to cost $200 including r/t shipping.

Maybe all of this would have happened anyway, but I can't help wondering if I'd just not answered the firmware update prompt, would all else would be okay…

Hope this is helpful to anyone encountering a similar situation.

SR

2. Mike T

Mike T New Member

That's crappy, sorry man. Not sure you did anything crazy by trying to update firmware when it asked you to honestly. Warranty doesn't cover that? I'm looking into one of these and firmware updates/bricking are one of the things I'm a bit sketched out about.

3. slateboy

slateboy Senior Member

Home Page:
    Don't be too disillusioned with the tales of problems. I recall my first firmware update- it took ages and looked like it froze but i left it and eventually it sprung into life.
    There's no denying that every piece of kit (including all the big names, not just atomic) has problems and bugs at some point and there are the occasional bad units that get manufactured which is very disappointing for the user/buyer.
    I maintain that no news is good news. For every one bad story, like above, there are probably a hundred other happy users with nothing to say or complain about. I often wonder how many users there are out there who haven't joined these forums or have never made a comment as they happily get on with using their AA.
    I think there's quite a few of us awaiting for a few minor bug-fixes to be addressed and the long silence from atomic does not instil confidence in them, however, support does seem to be better nowadays since @Jace Nuzback has jumped onboard.

Not defending the above situation- that is upsetting and i'd be in tears if that was me in a gig situation because i love my AA and highly recommend them.
    Hope that @SteveRoberts gets sorted.

4. MDGSydney

MDGSydney Member

Het Steve Roberts - Did it get fixed? What was the problem?

5. SteveRoberts

SteveRoberts New Member

Yes. Main board had to be replaced.