Amplifire Wiki

Discussion in 'Wishlist' started by eel, Oct 30, 2019.

1. eel

eel Active Member

I think a wiki for the amplifire line of products could be a great solution for gathering all the helpful information for users in one place. Atomic may not want to officially endorse one for reasons of legal liability (if bad info causes someone to fry their unit).

I’m just starting to create them for work so I will look into free wiki services but no doubt someone on here knows more than me. Recommendations welcome.

If you don’t know what a wiki is, they’re a webpage that is easy to edit and add detail too (like pictures). They grow as users add info to them. We could have the info for Getting Started, Power Supplies, Tone Tips, FX settings, how to configure expression pedals etc..

2. JoeInOttawa

JoeInOttawa Senior Member

I used to build wikis for my company, so I do understand them. What I don't understand is what you hope it will accomplish that this forum (and, let's say, TheGearPage.net) don't already do. So before you go wild wild west (THAT is a very traditional wiki thing!), what do you have in mind? :)

3. eel

eel Active Member

Ah ok I admit I'm pretty new to it. I thought it would be an easier way for those struggling with the technology/configuration side of the amplifires to find helpful info. I find the forum a little frustrating to search through and the manual not so great.

As an example the manual explains the Wah Taper parameter in very technical terms. If it said, "At 50% the wah response will be even across the whole expression pedal travel. Below 50% most of the response will be in the heel half of the expression pedal travel. Above 50% most of the response will be in the toe half of the expression pedal travel." I would have understood that parameter straight away.

So I guess I'm suggesting a layman's companion to the manual with some helpful examples?

I use wiki's now at work because I was getting bogged down with people chasing my knowledge. Now I just direct them to the wiki before hassling me.

4. NelsonP

NelsonP Senior Member

eel likes this.
  5. eel

eel Active Member

@NelsonP I saw that. Thanks for that thread. I’ve decided to start putting together my own “Amplifire Wiki” under my google account.

Until now I’ve been saving out good threads or docs into my laptop which I use for the Amplifire editor. No doubt one day I’ll have a problem without that laptop available. If I can look up my own wiki from phone/tablet it could be a life saver.

If I get it to a point where it’s helpful for others I can share it.

NelsonP likes this.
  6. NelsonP

NelsonP Senior Member

Nice! I'm sure that would be really helpful.

7. Dagwin

Dagwin Well-Known Member

I like the idea. Here is a doc that I compiled with some AA tips I gathered from multiple places. Hoping it contains something you did not have already and also that you will share your document at some point ;)

Attached Files:

NelsonP and eel like this.
  8. eel

eel Active Member

Thanks @Dagwin
    Guess I better get cracking!

I get the impression most people are using their units for covers gigs. I’m a little more experimental- never been interested in copying others sounds. Spent last night making a Rumble with fuzz, phaser and octaver.

I’ll stick to plain English explanations of blocks/settings and how to achieve certain things. Other members here are far more knowledgeable than me on the real world gear and achieving classic tones.