Are you running any external pedals with your Amplifire?

Discussion in 'Discussion' started by NelsonP, Mar 7, 2019.

1. Madmax

Madmax Well-Known Member

It's not the HX Effects, it's the HX Stomp :) Not quite the same thing, but still. I use it for a bunch of things:

- An always on Klon for most of my presets to give me a little 'boost'... I used to use the Soul Food for always on boost into the AA3, but I really wanted to use the Soul Food as an overdrive instead. So far working great before the HX Stomp and the AA3

- The AA3 doesn't have pitch shifting, this is only on the AA6. But the HX Stomp does, so that works out for me :)

- I can run one of the many preamp only models in the HX Stomp into the Power Amp models in the AA3. This works like a charm, sounds great! In fact, the next preset I need to do from scratch I will probably program like this

- I can change from acoustic IR to overdriven amp sounds with the HX Stomp within one preset - can't do that with the AA3, besides the AA3 only has IR at the end of the chain, not in the beginning

- There are a bunch of effects in the HX Stomp that is not modeled in the AA3. While I don't use a lot of them yet, I really love knowing that they are there

- There are a lot of overdrive and distortion effects in the HX Stomp that I can put in front of the AA3 that are really cool and sound great. The AA on the other hand is pretty limited when it comes to modeled drive pedals

- The effects in general are so much easier to dial in on the HX Stomp, in my opinion, that I really only see myself using HX Stomp for modulation, reverb and time based effects

- I can use the HX Stomp as a computer interface. Can't do that with the AA3

- Last but most importantly: Snapshots. I love being able to change individual settings on multiple effects within a single preset with the press of a single button. In fact, I use this 80-90% of the time I'm playing and really spares me a lot of the tap dancing I was doing before

So a lot of reasons why I love this setup and even (probably) prefer it to a larger solution like a full blown Helix LT or Floor.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2019
  2. mildew

mildew Active Member

Im using the buttons on my AA3 to choose from 6 patches, and truebypass chorus and phase 90 clone pedals to add tonal options. Was also using a cleanboost but my new Majesty guitar has a pushpot switched one built in.

3. Ben Riddell

Ben Riddell New Member

My current setup is a Dunlop Mini Wah, Boss TU-3 tuner, Atomic Amplifire 3, with an Eventide H9 Max & Core in the effects loop. There's a Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor in the mix as a master mute switch (sort of 4CM between its internal effects loop and the Amplifire's loop; an trick from my Marshall head days).

Prior to that setup I had a full size Wah, Ibanez TS-9 Tube Screamer, an unknown hand built fuzz, Green Russian Big Muff clone, Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion, Boss PH-2 Super Phaser, and MXR/CAE Line Driver in front of the Amplifire and a Boss DD-5 Digital Delay and Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble in the loop with the Eventides. I needed money so the setup had to slim down.

I'm looking into pedal kits and starting to build some drive pedals (Klon, Walrus Audio clones etc.)

NelsonP and Madmax like this.
  4. 3l84r70

3l84r70 Member

Overdrive (AT+ for now) before the Amplifire 6, and H9 Max in the loop. However, I'm not satisfied with the way the AT+ behaves here, sounds much better on my other rig... so I'm keen to know what else are you guys using IN FRONT of your unit?

thePedalBoard.jpeg

5. NelsonP

NelsonP Senior Member

I've now got a Pitchfork, Soul Food and EP booster in front of the Amplifire. Very happy with those.

EP boost is set up with unity gain setting (+3dB boost off, bright switch on) to give a lift to my overall tone. Works v nicely on the Deluxe and Plexi models. I don't like it on the 65 Clean model and it's not really necessary on the higher gain stuff (which for me is Friedman).

Soul Food works well on pretty much all of the amp models I use (Fender, Marshall, Friedman), although on the higher gain ones it can also be be OTT.

However, my small board is quickly getting bigger and GAS is getting the better of me. I am currently moving everything onto one, bigger board, adding a midi looper and considering an EXH Big Muff (not sure which one yet - will be either the Nano, Russian or OP amp reissues), to run into a clean Deluxe preset.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2019
  6. CRLIII

CRLIII New Member

Are you running it in front of an amp model, or using it like a pre-amp in front of a power amp model? I initially struggled using my Friedman BE OD Deluxe in front of the Ampli Firebox....but it really came to life when I dialed it in along with the KT88 power amp model. Did take quite a bit of tweaking.

Madmax likes this.
  7. 3l84r70

3l84r70 Member

I'm using it front of everything as an overdrive and boost pedal. The background of that pedal is that I used the same way on my other pedalboard, in front of a preamp, or in front of my hot rod deluxe... and it always sounds unreal... but with the amplifire6 not so much. I'll give the soulfood a try as someone suggested. I shall report back.

8. Madmax

Madmax Well-Known Member

I really enjoy using the Soul Food in front of mine. I use it as an overdrive, not a boost.
    An OCD style pedal works great as well, if you’re into that sort of thing.

9. viden

viden Well-Known Member

I use an OCD style pedal into an edge of breakup AC30 on my AA3 and it sounds great.
    OCD has something like 10% gain and 40% volume

10. Naigewron

Naigewron Active Member

Dad, boyfriend, musician, nerd
    AFB set up like a single channel amp, being pushed by the two drive pedals. Ventris, Nemesis and Trelicopter are placed after it, so that I don't have them going into a breaking up amp. This whole setup is working really, really well. Let the AFB do what it does best, and keep all the strengths of a traditional pedalboard.

[​IMG]

NelsonP and Filipe M. like this.
  11. 3l84r70

3l84r70 Member

Man, that is a really nice compact pedalboard. Very neat

Naigewron likes this.
  12. 3l84r70

3l84r70 Member

So, I've tried replacing the AT+ with the Soul Food, and that works really well. Thank you so much for the suggestion.