Atomic Amplifire VS Fractal AX8 - Blind Test

Discussion in 'Discussion' started by Charly Guitar Nerd, Jul 11, 2018 at 5:29 PM.

1. Charly Guitar Nerd

Charly Guitar Nerd New Member

Atomic Amplifire VS Fractal AX8... Could you identify and say which is which? [​IMG]

OddJobb and romain like this.
  2. Clint Martin

Clint Martin Well-Known Member

No. I can't, and I've owned both. I have the AA6 now, and I'm done.

Charly Guitar Nerd likes this.
  3. romain

romain Member

I am pretty sure the sample order is the same for each of your riffs.
    But I'm not sure at all of this: I would say A: amplifire B: Ax8
    Please tell me I am right, this will make my day :-D

4. StratCatz

StratCatz Well-Known Member

IT Analyst
    I own an AX8 in addition to an AFB which replaced the AA3 I had. Pretty much agree that based on similar amp models, you would be hard pressed to find the difference. The AFB is my backup rig and since my preference is for Friedman, I can dial up the sounds I want on both.

The AX8 is my main rig and the AFB was purchased as a quick swap backup. I don't see myself letting go of either pedal.

FWIW: I prefer the AX8 for its other amps such as Dirty Shirley as well as killer FX. Also, the AX8 has the ability to add expression parameter control for various items which I use extensively on a few songs if they are on the set list. Basically, for gigs, it's the AX8, for everything else such as jams & rehearsals, the AFB gets used.

Big fan of both products although the AX8 may get put aside for a while as no gigs are lined up for a few months. I really like the AFB and in using the A/B selection and adding the Stompshields, everything I basically need is on my tiny fly rig having a couple of stomps for missing FX added.

The only item missing in the setup rig is better FRFR. Pehaps one day I'll pick up an Atomic CLR. Time to sell unused gear to pay for it!

5. Charly Guitar Nerd

Charly Guitar Nerd New Member

Hi! Thanks to all of you guys for listening the audio!

The answer is:

- Clips A: Atomic Amplifire
    - Clips B: Fractal AX8

I think Both are great! And for less money you can get really good tones from the Amplifire! Another good thing is that Amplifire is less complicated to edit sounds...

The 99% of the time, I edit my presets in both Devices through it's respective PC Editor... The AX8 is awesome, and for each blog it has hundreds of parameters... you can mess with it or not, but if you do, you need to know what are you doing or you could loose the way a little haha!

The Atomic has several parameters to edit, but a lot less than the AX8.. so, in the Atomic you will edit just what you need and that's all!

I think the magic secret is... In both devices, try to use high quality Impulse Responses for the Cab block and spend some time trying a lot of different IRs until to find the best for the tone you are looking for... I use OwnHammer and I'm very happy with it! In the audio comparison, almost all the tones were made with OwnHammer MESA (California Duo, 2x12 and 4x12)... And the Clean sound is OwnHammer DlxRvb... In Both Devices... Not exactly the same IRs for the AX8 and the Atomic... But similar...

;)

Clint Martin and romain like this.
  6. romain

romain Member

To my ears AA sounds a bit more "low-middy" than the AX, but both amp emulations sound great.
    AA is the ideal solution for my use, compact body, great amps sims, really great sounding.
    I personnaly use a custom IR, based on a home made stereo mix of RedWirez IR, I'm very happy with it.
    I look forward to the next update !

7. Clint Martin

Clint Martin Well-Known Member

Amplifire has all I need and more. I do have about 100,000 IRs which can make a drastic change to tone and feel.
    The Powercab speaker models also add to what I can do.
    About all I would like to see in the update is better preset management, and better IR management, but it's really fine as is.

8. slateboy

slateboy Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    In the confines of a studio (or bedroom) we can detect the differences. Whatever the difference, personal preference is another thing altogether.
    I maintain that in the mix of a recorded track or live situation the small differences are negligible and we have to be careful we don't get distracted from the main task of playing and lose time going down the rabbit hole. (i need to remind myself to listen to my own advice too!) Generally, in a situation where others (the audience and your band-mates) hear it they won't know or don't care for refinement and detail.
    That said, having confidence in your sound and in your own playing is what counts so if that means getting "that sound" with "that equipment" do it!
    I'm just as nerdy- i've spent hours and hours getting "the sound" and even done an A/B comparison against one of the big-boys units but I'm happy the AA can deliver the goods! Having played yesterday with bias on ios I like the fact i haven't got those "infinite" options on the AA (similar to a real amp) another reason i've steered away from units like the fractal. Well, that and the price...!

OddJobb and dheran like this.