Best IR to Turn a Les Paul Into an Acoustic

Discussion in 'Discussion' started by JoeInOttawa, Jul 5, 2018.

Tags:
  1. JoeInOttawa

JoeInOttawa Well-Known Member

Yeah, I know it's not gonna be great. I'm looking for something that will let me leave the acoustic at home for smaller gigs, so this is one of those in-a-pinch things. And please don't say 3Sigma without saying with one.

I am the only guitar in the band, but there are keys, bass, and drums as well, so I can hide, but only a little.

Again, doesn't need to be perfect, but I hate schlepping a Taylor around for two songs.

Okay, hit me: Whaddya got?

Joe

2. slateboy

slateboy Well-Known Member

Home Page:
  3. JoeInOttawa

Hmmm. Might be worth a shot, and they're relatively cheap...

I already own the 3Sigma Martin, but I'm just not getting anything usable yet. Too brittle and VERY quiet. Might push them around a bit before I give in, but this could be a good option as well.

4. aleclee

aleclee Forum Tech Wrangler Staff Member

IT
    I don't on a LP but I'm pretty happy with the results I get with the free Taylor IRs that are out there. Here's a clip I did a few years back using a Taylor IR with my EBMM Axis SuperSport.

One trick I learned is to use an in-betwen pickup selection when shooting for an acoustic tone. The envelope of the note is closer to that of an acoustic guitar.

5. DickWinters

DickWinters New Member

I have the 3Sigma Martin set, and a Les Paul, as well. And an Amplifire-Box.

Amp block:

Start by choosing the EL34 power amp on the amp block. It doesn't break up as easily as the other ones. You do need set the MASTER quite low, under 12:00 o'clock to avoid any distortion. But set the LEVEL high. Like +24.0 db high. Damping 0%.

EQ block:

Set the last parametric EQ to GAIN, and boost the LEVEL as much as needed. Nothing wrong with going full 12.0 db. All that should solve the quietness issue.

The brittleness comes down to personal preference I guess. Use the frequency chart below, and the two remaining EQs to cut or boost to your liking. I would set them POST. And you have the PreTone EQ to tweak as well, if necessary.

Cab block:

And naturally, experiment with the different IRs in the package. I think I liked the 3a/b/c the most. I would leave the ROLLOFF quite high, 15000-20000 Hz, you're going to want to keep those highs, probably. And just play around with the BOTTOM, and the AIR. I think I ended up boosting the AIR a bit.

COMP block:

Again, it's a personal preference. I have it on.

[​IMG]

From another source:
    • 150 – 300 Hz range: Use to beef-up the tone of the guitar but as mentioned, it’s easy to get muddy again so only boost frequencies in this area if it CLEARLY improves the sound.
    • 300 – 600 Hz range: Can be boosted if you have a thin sounding guitar.
    • 600 – 800 Hz range: Your meaty mid-range sound. Cut this to give better tone and better distinguish the guitar from other instruments (more on cross mixing in a moment.)
    • 1,000 – 3,500 Hz range: These frequencies can push the guitar to the front of the mix and affect note definition. Boost these frequencies when looking at fingerpicking-style guitar and lead (not rhythm) guitar.
    • 3,500 – 12,000 Hz range: It’s all about the sparkle. This range adds brilliance and can make the guitar jump out. This range can be further broken down into 3.5-5 kHz, 5-8 kHz, and 8-12 kHz. Start at the 3.5 to 5 kHz range for adding that sparkle to the acoustic guitar. If you want more, jump to the next range and boost a little there.
    Hope all that helps, good luck!

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
    dheran likes this.
  6. JoeInOttawa

Spectaclar! Thanks, Dick, I'll give that a go!

7. slateboy

slateboy Well-Known Member

Home Page: