Clean Fender twin

Discussion in 'Preset Exchange' started by miko, Feb 9, 2017.

1. miko

miko Member

Ok, whats your best take on clean clean fender twin? No matter how much I tweak i feel that still something is missing and I know it can be achieved with amplifire.
    Wizards help, please.

2. Wyatt McConnell

Wyatt McConnell Senior Member

What do you feel is missing? Disclaimers...(1) I kind of hate Fender Twins. I haven't played through a vintage one before, but have always hated the reissues I've played through...too scooped and spikey on the top end for my lowly talents without a massive amount of compression; (2) I feel that "utlra clean" tones are actually the least fullfilling to play through a modeler because it never feels like it has that big round bottom end of a clean amp in the room.

3. miko

miko Member

You pretty much nailed what I'm missing in my twin patches.

Here is example of sound I'm looking for. There are better on YouTube but I can't find them so fast.

Ziggybumwah likes this.
  4. Wyatt McConnell

Neither Twins nor tweaking to a patch to match a certain sound are my skills, but I do note that the IR that's paired with the Top Boost amp model sounds a lot better with US Clean amp model to me than the stock US Clean cab...a little rounder and punchier.

5. JBLR

JBLR Active Member

If you want, in my files attached in this thread, there is a Deluxe Twin and a Bassman, try them and load the ir's in stereo, especially the Bogner 2x12 and the Tweed 1x12 included in Supro Black Magic...
    Try them with single coils and see what happens..
    Good luck.

6. miko

miko Member

@JBLR I've tried your presets and cab and find them to sound huge, very detailed and in face. Making stereo irs is very interesting path. Did you tried combinations of rear, room and normal irs?
    Regarding irs, I think in them lies the missing link I'm trying to achieve. I liked a lot Jay Mitchell's irs because of the "distance" feel but find them somewhat dull (actually neutral is better word) compared to more in face irs. I still use them in some presets where I want that, but would like to have ir with combination of that distance of Jays ir and details in yours. It's a rabbit hole I don't want to jump in and can't at the moment even if I change my mind.

7. JBLR

JBLR Active Member

Yes, the magic is in the ir's. I don't do nothing special, only search and tweak for hours, a lot... ;-).
    I am now digging into combination of ir's, i mean i.e., blue alnico + greenbacks...and others
    Try yourself, it's very funny and intructional... if you have the time!

8. Ziggybumwah

Ziggybumwah Well-Known Member

Another Twin example with some nice playing through a Les Paul. It's a different tone than I strive for normally but I'm going to play along and see if I can switch IR's to get something similar. Sometimes I wonder if the amplifier tones sound better at higher volumes (something I haven't been able to try yet!!!)

9. matticus

matticus Active Member

Try this and report back:

(Amp) US Clean: G 6 / B 2 / M 7 / T 2 / P 0 / M 10 / Da 75%
    (Cab) US Clean or Rumble

Graphic EQ: post / 160 3.0 / 320 1.5 / 640 1.5

Para 1: peaking / post / -7.0dB / 0.07kHz / Q1.00

Ziggybumwah, uberschall and AndyLaz like this.
  10. miko

miko Member

Thanks, Matticus.
    Unfortunately, I won't be able to check before Friday because I'm on the road, but I'm looking forward to it.

11. miko

miko Member

Hello Matticus,
    I tried the settings you provided. I'm very satisfied excerpts cab selection. Geq really gives the preset life. At the moment I'm rabbit holing trough my red wirez/ownhammer cab folders. Any suggestion?
    Thanx.

12. Ruefus

Ruefus Member

I've had good luck with the free Ownhammer set. The Twin coupled with the 57 M+ in the quickstart folder is one I've been leaning on for a while now.

I need to try Matticus' eq settings. I haven't played with the eq blocks much. Totally agree with the low Bass setting. Helps the guitar cut through without sterilizing the sound.

13. matticus

matticus Active Member

Glad we're heading in the right direction!

I'm not sure which packs you have from either one of those companies, but if you have the Big Box from Redwirez, you might try their Twins (C12N, JBL), their Matchless cab, or their Mesa EV, and I might try the Super Reverb or Deluxe Reverb packs from Ownhammer if you have those.

You might like the Deluxe P12N from the free Line 6 Allure pack. There's also a Super Reverb cab in one of the new default presets that's nice and punchy.

14. Guitar1969

Guitar1969 Senior Member

I may have to try these settings with my 3Sigma Twin Reverb Cab I bought a few months back.

15. matticus

matticus Active Member

The Twin compresses on its own quite a bit. I felt like to go for the tones shown in those videos this was what I had to do to approach them. It's not a typical setting for Twins but, hey, if it works, it works...

16. Wyatt McConnell

Just as an fyi -- I own the Ownhammer super reverb pack and can confirm that the super reverb cab in the new presets is absolutely pulled straight from the Ownhammer pack.

matticus likes this.
  17. Ziggybumwah

I plopped this next to a couple of other fender twin presets a week or so ago. Since then when looking for a nice fender tone I find myself stopping on yours. Nicely done!

matticus and Madmax like this.
  18. Guitar1969

Guitar1969 Senior Member

I took these settings, added the JM reverb settings that are posted elsewhere, and added the Singtall Warm Cab IR, lowered the Cab rolloff to below 10khz and it sounds great.

matticus likes this.
  19. Ziggybumwah

JMreverb? I'm looking but not finding. Gotta link?

20. Guitar1969

Guitar1969 Senior Member

Maybe I will just post the preset I made tonight when I get home from work. I assume its okay since all the ingredients were publicly available and I acknowledged the creator of each. Hope this is okay.

Madmax and Ziggybumwah like this.