David Gilmour tone

Discussion in 'Preset Exchange' started by Andy, Dec 4, 2018.

1. Andy

Andy Well-Known Member

Hi,

I can’t get decent Pink Floyd/Gilmour tones with AF (Comfortably numb for example) and the comercial presets dont get me there too, someone found the way to acchieve it and can share how?

(I’m using a Fender strat with SD SSL-5 in the bridge and Texas specials on the middle and neck, with the same guitar I get great Gilmour tones with helix native).

Thanks in advance,

Andy

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
  2. tpcoderre

tpcoderre Member

3. tpcoderre

tpcoderre Member

4. Andy

Andy Well-Known Member

Tips?

5. tpcoderre

tpcoderre Member

Hey Andy,

I found this preset 'as is' got me almost all the way there... my tweaks were minor, just a dialling things in to best work with my rig. This included a change of IR. Chris Brightwell knows live tone on this system, so a lot to glean from just noting his settings.... all the way through the chain... every parameter in every block.

For me, I have found that tonally the most powerful overall tone shaping tools are in the cab block (all parameters), and the 'feel' shaping is mostly in the amp block with the Presence and (mainly) the Damping parameters.

For EQ (any EQ at every point in the chain) I generally like to find the spot on each 'dial' that is the point of biggest change - ie where the biggest difference (treble to mids/mids to bass etc) is heard... I find these the most responsive and open points and alleviates one control 'fighting' the other to compensate. Also allows the character of individual guitars to shine through. If I then want a specific freq to cut through the mix, I'll bump that a little... typically in the PRE Eq so its a 'one point in the chain' change that has a predictable follow on effect.

I have also found, as great as the in the box effects are (and they are) the effects loop is stellar, so if you've got an Electric Mistress or Dimension C, sticking these in the loop can catapult this preset even further!

Hope that's helpful.

Tim