Dumble-EP3

Discussion in 'Preset Exchange' started by Clint Martin, Jul 24, 2018.

1. Clint Martin

Clint Martin Senior Member

I've been trying to get a EP3 sound out of the echo block. This is pretty good IMHO. I'm not sure how close it is to a real echoplex, but it has the Wow and Flutter sound I was going for.
    Tell me what you think!

Attached Files:

guarjol likes this.
  2. Clint Martin

I would really like some help here. I have a MXR echoplex pedal on order for a dedicated Echoplex that I will run in the loop, but if we could all work together, and get one out of the Amplifire echo block it would potentially help other people, and this pedal that we all love.

3. wordlesspoet

wordlesspoet Active Member

Clint,
    Here are 2 versions of an Echoplex that I have put together.

"Echoplex" is mono, and "H9Echoplex" is stereo and my take at trying to match an echoplex setting I like on my Eventide H9. The H9 and AF6 versions are different, but both very nice and close to each other.

Judging by the tones you have posted here in the past, you probably already know this but, here are some suggestions that I have found to be helpful in dialing in delays: make use of high cut and low cut controls. I will say especially the low cut. I used to run a Digitech Timebender delay (great relatively unknown delay!). It has a magical tone knob that allows to high cut or low cut. I found that cutting the low end of the delay return by an appreciable amount helped the main signal and the delay to get along very well and allow for high levels of feedback without having the delay simply take over. I think the low cut also is a key to getting old-school analog and tape delay sounds to sit right. To my ear, those delays had limited bandwidth on both the top and the bottom.

Another AF-delay-specific tool that I have found helpful is to play with the number of "buckets" even when I am going for a tape delay. The buckets and the tape sim (and I think even the analog sim) decrease different high frequencies. So, once I have chosen delay type, set high cut and low cut to taste, I go to the "bucket" control, pick a setting based on what darkness I am going for and experiment with various high cut frequencies and "bucket" settings until I like what I hear with the amp/cab pairing.

So if you look at my echoplex attempts, you will notice some pretty good slice of low is cut out and I have some buckets selected.

Let me know what you think. BTW, some of my tone matching was based on matching the H9 (as mentioned), the TC Nova system, and a TC Alter Ego Echoplex setting. I don't have the AlterEgo anymore because I could get the H9 and Nova to cop the sounds to a very high degree.

Tim

Attached Files:

Andy and Clint Martin like this.
  4. Clint Martin

Hey thanks! I look forward to trying these. I have now bought a MXR Echoplex which is a fantastic pedal, but I really like all that the Amplifire delay has to offer. So many tools there to experiment with. I also have a stereo setup. IlI' let you know how it goes.

5. Andy

Andy Well-Known Member

Superb Tim!! I liked a lot

6. Clint Martin

Very nice presets in general! I would have never thought to try the Vox cab with the Rumble bright amp. Nice combo.

7. wordlesspoet

Thanks, guys. I got the idea to try the Vox cab with other amps from someone's (sorry, I have blown through too many presets to remember who to give credit to...chime in if it was you) pre-set here in the exchange. They used the vox cab with a deluxe model. I thought it made it sound like a late 90's/early 00's boutique amp when they had somewhat modified circuits but with unique speaker parings. So, when it came time to remove the OH cabs that I had with the EP3 presets originally, I tried a few standard cabs. Found out I liked the Vox cab better than the OH cabs for those presets. Mine are now what is posted above.

8. wordlesspoet

Clint,
    How do any of the EP3 presets (yours, mine, or others) sound compared to the MXR pedal?
    Tim

9. Clint Martin

Digital with your wow and flutter settings is pretty close. I don't really like the tape echo as much as digital. The only reason I like having both is I can use the Amplifire delay for stereo, and the MXR for mono.
    I really like both delays a lot.

10. wordlesspoet

Clint,
    Sounds like a great set up. Have you tried the AA EP-3 models before the amp model in the signal chain? I sometimes like what the amp model does to the harmonic structure of the delay when placed before the amp.

Clint Martin likes this.
  11. Clint Martin

Haven't thought to try that. I guess I would have to say I like the echoplex pedal better than the tape echo in the Amplifire, but I really like the echo block as a whole in the Amplifire. It's so flexible...anyone with a basic understanding of how the echo block works (which can be difficult) can get just about anything from it.