Editor for android and ipad

Discussion in 'Wishlist' started by DustinKay, Oct 9, 2017.

1. DustinKay

DustinKay Member

I would really love if there was a way to connect my amplifire to my android device. I understand it's not wireless but there is a cable for everything. Having this on stage or on the go would be super convenient and allow me to keep my laptop safe at home where it belongs.

Vicenzajay, onyir, Carl3o3 and 3 others like this.
  2. Jonathan P.Aran

Jonathan P.Aran Member

i would give this the thumbs up for sure. But knowing anything with apple and ipad when hooking up the cable...most of the time you would see on the screen saying "device needs too much power" or something like that.

3. CKDexterHaven

CKDexterHaven Active Member

I would also love an iPad editor. Not having one is what kept me from buying the Amplifire for a year before i finally relented, but only with the unfortunate intention of buying a Windows (ack!) tablet just to run the app. I found this threat essentially as a last ditch effort to find another way, before i spend money on a crappy device i'll only use for this one purpose. Maybe i'll keep it in the bathroom, for Spider Solitaire.... Either way, it's $150 i'd rather not have to spend. Seems silly, to have a primitive device interface and not augment it with simple software. I don't even care that it can't be bluetooth or wifi-operated. I have the Apple Camera Adapter already. A simple USB connection would be fine, and would bring the AA3/12 so much closer to the Helix for usability.

Jonathan — what devices have needed more power with your iPad? Which generation iPad? I think there is an adapter (split?) for the iPad that lets it connect via USB AND accept a cable for power, if that's the issue.

4. Jonathan P.Aran

Jonathan P.Aran Member

Connecting just a usb drive will get that notice. im on the ipad mini 2. Unless u have a usb hub thats powered by another adapter then it would help. Wish the AA3 had bluetooth connectivity like the H9. Just a hassle tweaking on a Mac. Especially the delays!

5. Ekim

Ekim Member

ios editör would be great!

DL_57 likes this.
  6. Atrain

Atrain Member

Yes, an iOS editor would be awesome!

7. Andy

Andy Well-Known Member

I have a Yamaha THR10, today I tried an unofficial editor/librarian for android connected via an OTG adaptor, really nice and handy tool. Saddly there is not available an equivalent app for iOS.

8. Raphael

Raphael Member

5 volts, 5 amps is the USB standard for all, but a mini to USB -B is the cable that would be needed
    USB-B TO USB-MICRO ADAPTOR

This forum won't let me paste a link but search Amazon and you can see it.

We just need an android app author to write the GUI and make it available in the Google Play Store

9. Quadfire

Quadfire Senior Member

There's no info on the usb protocols used by the Amplifire. Some people have poked around, but it's not easy to decode what you see with wireshark, etc.

If Atomic were to document the USB, we would likely have better editors and other tools cropping up. Suspect the USB is tightly coupled to the tools used to build the editor like JUCE and extensions.

Wish this was simpler and extensible.

Equill and DL_57 like this.
  10. Quadfire

Quadfire Senior Member

Somebody liked the above post recently, and I realize it's worth an update.

You can hack the AA editor's USB protocol. The commands are easy to figure out, and it's just a bit harder to be able to read the various values. Somewhat tedious though. As a proof of concept, I hacked to together a wireless midi controller where encoders change AA settings and led rings show the current value. The "smarts" that connects the AA to the Midi run on either a laptop or a Raspberry PI. There's no reason why this couldn't be an ipad or android device using Midi over Bluetooth or perhaps natively via USB. Have to say, I love having real knobs and buttons at amp/desktop level.

11. Equill

Equill Member

It was me that liked that post, and my angle on this is wanting an editor that runs natively on Linux. Once we have the details of the protocol, the rest is "a simple matter of implementation."

The key question is how the Atomic team feel about people reverse-engineering the protocol and sharing (most likely publishing) the details. Personally, I can only see upsides, like it leading to an ecosystem around the platform, but I'm not the one holding the copyrights.

"Real knobs and buttons," you say. That suggests the idea of repurposing a DAW controller, like the Behringer X-Touch or the Mackie XT.

12. Quadfire

Quadfire Senior Member

Yes, I'm using the X-Touch which is great in terms of size, pushbutton encoders, led rings, and ability to control it over midi. A version which had more knobs and a small controllable display/scribble strips would be perfect (and there is ongoing discussion about just that).

I did reach out to Atomic, and we had a brief chat. Like you, I prefer to be up front and respect their wishes and hard work. They struck me as genuinely enthusiastic and perhaps flattered. They seemed fine with reverse engineering of the USB protocol and doubt they view it as anything to protect (and I doubt the USB protocol can be copyrighted). I was up front with them that it was a personal project that I might open up in some way to others in the future. I'm going to ping them to see if they have any objection to me sharing this information.

If you do create an open source editor I'd hope it would be based upon something that would run on various platforms beyond Linux. My hope would be that the editor surpasses the basic that Atomic provides (which is a lot of "implementation"); short of that running in a vm would be a lot easier.

Equill likes this.
  13. Equill

Equill Member

Cross/multiplatform would definitely be the ideal, though my first priority would be getting an editor on Linux, and my GUI coding skills currently stop at HTML/CSS. OTOH, once the specs are confirmed and a core library's tested and confirmed mature enough, there's no reason it can't be re-implemented in a better way.

It's also only fair to offer the warning that my UI/UX design skills are about what you'd expect of a sysadmin/network engineer. You can see what it does and how to use it, but I'm not in danger of winning any awards :)

14. Rayosytruenos

Rayosytruenos Well-Known Member

Guitar
    It would be fantastic.

And even more fantastic for the Firebox, because with the physical unit you can only do a few things. I really think the AFB is one of the best devices around but a lot of its things are only possible with the app.

I'm waiting for the cheapest Windows 10 tablet I could find. I bought it just for my Atomics. I hope it'll work fine.

Rodi likes this.
  15. DonaldR

DonaldR New Member

Anyone tried installing Wine on Android tablet and the Amplifier editor? I'm ok if the editor is not perfect, it's only for last minute fine tuning parameters at the sound check, I'll do me preset at home using my Mac. I'm waiting for an Android version of the editor before buying the Ampli Firebox.

16. Rodi

Rodi Member

I was looking hot and heavy for a windows tablet until I fixed up my wifes old work notebook (it was slow and wonky for most tasks, turned out to be the HD, which I swapped out for an SSD).

I found RCA brand had the least expensive, and while I may not reccommend this particular one, you catch the drift.

17. Equill

Equill Member

Late response, because I'm not in here often.

The closest I've gotten to that is a full Windows VM on my laptop for this and similar apps, via Virtualbox. It's a PITA, but it gets the job done.

18. Psychotronic

Psychotronic Active Member

Now that I have the sheet music app (Mobilesheets) on my Android tablet changing AA12 presets for various songs via midi, I'm looking for ways to run the AA editor and am considering WINE for Android. Anyone try it yet?

19. Rayosytruenos

Rayosytruenos Well-Known Member

Guitar
    I tried in a little tablet. I couldn't make it work, but it was maybe because I did something wrong.

I'll keep an eye here.

20. Psychotronic

Psychotronic Active Member

I bring enough gear on the road, I don't want to have to bring a tablet AND a laptop. I don't do a ton of editing on the road, but it does happen occasionally. Please consider it!