Happy New Firmware Day (v5.0.3)!

Discussion in 'Atomic News' started by Atomic Amps, Feb 9, 2018.

1. Quadfire

Quadfire Senior Member

Other bugs to fix:
    • The Wah park issue when changing presets
    • Toggling of LED color when using preset offsets for footswitches.

TrondUlseth and NelsonP like this.
  2. Equill

Equill Member

Somewhat late response, but it's probably worth pointing out that the "one-line" code change is just one small part of the effort involved in fixing a bug. From experience in the software industry, there's also
    - verifying that the problem is actually in the section of code that you think (not always the case)
    - confirming that the change is actually as simple as it looked from the outside (I've often been amazed at how complex the simple-looking things can be, and how a simple issue can cause startlingly complex problems)
    - adding tests for that behaviour
    - making that change
    - confirming that the problem's now fixed
    - checking for any other problems you introduced with that change
    - fixing those new problems
    - repeat the last steps a few times, especially if that "one-line" change involved a change to the behaviour of a function or method
    - full integration/regression testing
    - practical testing - sure, it compiles and the test passes, but does it actually behave the way you want now? Since a change to MIDI behaviour involves interacting with external devices, you need to assemble a collection of those devices, and run through a bunch of tests with them. Now you're looking for race-conditions and similar sources of hilarity, with a guitar in your hand. Remember that if you miss anything, you can expect to get flamed, especially by that one guy.
    - find and fix the new issues you found (and around we go again).
    - update the change-log, release notes and documentation.
    - update the installer.

All that time has to be taken away from development of a new product that people are waiting to give you money for - money that makes all this work possible. And, of course, there's a queue of these problems, which has to be prioritised.

Does that help it make more sense?

3. Quadfire

Quadfire Senior Member

There will often be two changes: One in the firmware and one in the editor.
    Testing will need to occur on three devices: AA3,6,12

If the change also needs to go into the AFB, that's another editor and firmware to change/test.

That said, much of this is just "inertia" and shifting attention from other work that may be going on.

Don't think this thread is going to change anyone's mind on either side of the discussion. It's a vent/plead type of thread...

Equill likes this.
  4. ConstantinosM

ConstantinosM Well-Known Member

probably true but it's also an indication of how many people are being turned away and leaving the amplifire platform for other stuff. and i dont think anything they come up with now is going to bring enough ppl back seeing as they left their so-far product line unsupported firmware-wise

5. domonicrini

domonicrini Member

Amy word on any updates for the AA3?

6. Mike 1963

Mike 1963 New Member

I was interested in this product but............... !

Yet another abandonware !

so I pass !

7. Vicenzajay

Vicenzajay Active Member

It's not an issue of it making more "sense" - it's an issue of time and product/market urgency at this point. We are well and truly past the "silly" point for a firmware/software update at this date. We're talking well over a year with no support for acknowledged bugs and relatively simple usability tweaks. We're not mentioning or asking for new amp or effects models; we're at the point of discussing some basic foot-press issues that would polish the product with very little effort whatsoever.

I really don't care how many "steps" it takes to do these. There are tons of other companies doing *all* those inside a time horizon that makes Atomic look ridiculous right now in this market segment (with regard to product support). Over a year ago, I was the one wagging my head at folks talking about Atomic having abandoned the AmpliFire. Now, I've got to say this looks JUST like an abandoned product. Again, I think mine sounds great. I'm still using it - granted, it took a MC-6 to really control it in a way that makes sense, but still. That said, there's no way of defending a product based on software modeling with a computer-interface paradigm of programming and control without a reasonable firmware update rhythm.

There's nothing like that here....we're motoring against the "0" stop.

Johannkleen likes this.