Has anyone figured out the harmonizer?

Discussion in 'Discussion' started by DreamTheaterRules, Oct 14, 2020.

1. DreamTheaterRules

DreamTheaterRules Well-Known Member

I have tried 3-4 times and had NO luck at all. I can plug any amp or device into my old Lexicon rack unit and easily get multiple options that sound good, pick the right one for the part and use it.

The few times I've tried the one built in to my AA12, I usually last about 10 minutes before I'm back out of the editor and giving up, and then don't try again for at least 6 months. IMHO, this is one of those features they made way to complex, as some complain about with other features. I don't need 20 controls and can't, with no guidance, seem to make them work.

Does anyone have any useful presets? If I can get a few that work, I can figure out what to do with the "other" controls. I've got a performance coming up soon where I need this feature. I tried last week and got nowhere. Plugged my Lexicon into the loop and got exactly what I wanted in seconds. I just can't take rack gear along with my Atomic for this song.

2. Paul Wilson

Paul Wilson Well-Known Member

Not an expert, but I use it occasionally.
    I just select harmonizer from the mode menu, choose the key and scale, and set interval and mix for the voices below the key drop-down. I only mix in interval 2 at -2, set at 50% mix. Other controls are mostly irrelevant once harmoniser is selected.

PaulW

Seems to work fine if you remember it's not polyphonic (so no chords, only single notes).

Quadfire and DreamTheaterRules like this.
  3. DreamTheaterRules

I guess you addressed part of what I was talking about. If it is doing intervals, why do you have to choose a key and scale?

4. Paul Wilson

The key and the scale are what you are planning to play in. The intervals are the note spacing between the harmoniser's notes and yours. You can have close harmony or all sorts of dissonant or otherwise harmonies related to the notes of the scale you have chosen.

PaulW

5. Seven Heaslip

Seven Heaslip Member

Chris Brightwell has a YouTube clip showcasing the AA's pitchshifter effect on some well known solos where he puts the settings on the screen. This may help. I personally haven't tried any of the settings as I'm yet to delve into the pitchshifter. Here's a link:

Also handy to know that you can create a very full rich chorus type effect using the pitchshifter block. I use this in place of a chorus sometimes.
    Settings are -
    Interval 1 = 0
    Mix 1 = 100%
    Pan 1 = -1.0
    Interval 2 = 0
    Mix 2 = 100%
    Pan 2 = 1.0
    Tune 1 = -7 cnt (+0 unison)
    Tune 2 = 8 cnt (+0 unison)

Adjust Level to taste & play with the Tune 1 & Tune 2 by a few cents to change the sound of the chorus

Paul Wilson likes this.
  6. Paul Wilson

Great stuff! Love the Trevor Rabin fixed interval Pitchshifter harmonies from the video - hadn't really considered this technique, I tend to use the Harmoniser mode where the intervals are derived intelligently from notes spacing on the chosen scale rather than fixed.

The tip on using the pitch block for chorus is great. Gives me a way of having two chorus sounds on one preset without tying up the delay block. Good settings you chose too, I like it as is. Thanks!

PaulW

Seven Heaslip likes this.
  7. Seven Heaslip

Seven Heaslip Member

Hadn't thought of that.......using the pitch block & normal chorus effect to have 2 different chorus sounds in one patch.....
    I've been using my expression pedal on one of my patches to change the chorus but that limits you to only change one parameter. This should free up my expression for other stuff, cheers!

Paul Wilson likes this.
  8. Paul Wilson

Yes, my usual chorus is fairly subtle and useful for fattening leads as well as lush chords, but the Pitchshifter settings you posted give a richer, clearer chorus effect which is better for clean chord picking.

I believe some use the Echo block for chorus type effects too, but haven't come across settings for that yet.

PaulW

Seven Heaslip likes this.
  9. DreamTheaterRules

I understand all this. My point is, this is WAY too specific. What if the very next song is in a different key. Or, what if the next solo is in a different key? I can’t stop and edit between songs.

If I want a quick 3,5,7 or octave interval for a solo or even part of one, this won’t do that. My 15 year old Lexicon MPX 110 will.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020 at 11:18 PM
  10. Paul Wilson

Harmoniser mode would not suit you then, obviously, unless you had different presets per song, as many do.

If you use the Pitchshifter mode, then setting the fixed intervals under those controls (from the relevant drop-downs instead of the note intervals of the Harmoniser) will give you any fixed interval on up to two separate voices, as a 'traditional' harmoniser does.

PaulW

DreamTheaterRules likes this.
  11. Paul Wilson

Hi, I think part of the problem is that it is not clear from the editor interface which controls are relevant to which mode. The manual is little clearer.

Remember here that in Pitchshifter mode the box won't know what you mean by 3, 5 or 7, unless it knows the root note and scale type, so it can only do fixed intervals, which are normally semitones, as here. So for example a major 5th up is, as you know, 7 semitones in to the scale including the root, which in this case (but not all) is the same for a minor scale. So here is what you need for a simple single voice for a major or minor 5th, which is 7 semitones: -
    upload_2020-10-19_13-36-29.jpeg
    upload_2020-10-19_13-36-45.jpeg
    upload_2020-10-19_13-37-5.jpeg

DreamTheaterRules likes this.