If i don't like the helix, will i also dislike the Atomic Amplifire?

Discussion in 'Discussion' started by N'wah, Apr 9, 2019.

1. N'wah

N'wah Member

I don't like the helix, i gave it a month but i'm returning it, what i dislike the most is the feel.

will i also dislike the atomic amplifire? i enjoyed amplitube 3 in the past so i don't think i dislike modelling in general.

2. Swmorgan77

Swmorgan77 Member

I can't speak for the Helix, but I've tried many modelers, with and without IR's. The AA6 is the first device that *felt* like I was playing amp in the room, when direct to my FRFR. The dynamics are noticably better than any other digital modeler I've tried.

N'wah likes this.
  3. N'wah

N'wah Member

sounds promising.

The only problem is that they aren't available in mainland europe, so i can't try one out without losing money on return shipping

4. romain

romain Member

I personnally jumped from AA3 to HX stomp for different reasons, but none of it are about the feel.
    Feelling on AA is insanely good, and slightly better than the HX stomp, which is the only thing I miss (that's why i still read posts here ;) ).
    Especially on saturations, Marshall, and Friedman amp models ,are better to play and tweak with.

Madmax and N'wah like this.
  5. N'wah

N'wah Member

for what reasons did you switch?

6. romain

romain Member

Better UI, more bass amps, more effects, easier to tweak effect parameters (more pedal-oriented UI), more routing options, and it's tinier !
    But I miss AA sometimes ...

7. N'wah

N'wah Member

yeah it has a great UI, the reamping and usb interface is also a great feature but unfortunately i couldn't get along with the feel :/

8. mosola2

mosola2 Member

I've had an AA3 for 3 years and last summer I bought a Helix LT just to see what the differences are. I agree with the above comments - Helix is outstanding when it comes to user interface and ease of use. The AA really shines in the gain department (Kornfield, HB/HBE and Plexi). I still think that the Helix has better clean amps although the AA's Deluxe amp is getting close. I found the clean amps (actually with a bit of break up) more lively and for my taste better voiced.
    I got rid of the Helix LT after a month because when I turned on the AA3 'just to revisit one last time before putting it up for sale' I instantly was hit by 'this is the tone and feel that I like'. It might be that you could get to that point by tweaking a Helix a lot (and for my part tweaking the clean amps of the AA a lot), but I just don't have the patience for it ;-)

I'm currently thinking of combining the two (AA3 + HX Stomp) but it really depends on how the gain pedals of the HX Stomp go together with the AA3.

9. slateboy

slateboy Senior Member

Home Page:
    I’ve had my AA for a few years and tried a helix out of curiosity last year. Not instantly impressed and it did not temp me in any way to want one. However, Im sure its got its merits, notably the user interface and FX. The size and weight alone put me off.
    I never liked my old pod XT/live (cant even remember its name!!) though this is no comparison to the helix but what i do like is that with the AA the ratio of playing:tweaking keeps me on the guitar more.
    To answer your question, i dont favour the helix but love my AA.
    Bare in mind its quite easy to make any modeller sound shite and online reviews may be biased.

Edit: it was a pod HD500x that i had

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
  10. N'wah

N'wah Member

the problem with the helix was not so much the sound but rather the feel and the dynamics, but the sound is also not as good as it should be IMO

11. romain

romain Member

Playing with the amplifire feels very direct and dynamic. Saturations are super rich, especially on the low mids part.
    Helix is a little more "harsh" on those points.
    If that make sense to you, you really could like the AA.
    Used Amplifire boxes are quite cheap, maybe you should try to get one, as a starting point ;)

N'wah likes this.
  12. Dave_5150

Dave_5150 Senior Member

I bought my original AA3 as a low cost way to test around whether modeling was now advanced enough for me to use it live. I'd tried around 15 years ago with a Pod XT Live with mixed results.

When it was time to upgrade I tried (and ultimately returned) the Helix and Headrush. There was nothing wrong with either unit or how they sounded and their interfaces were great. But I consistently preferred playing through the Atomic. Can't put my finger on why I prefer it though.

Madmax likes this.
  13. NelsonP

NelsonP Senior Member

I'm a big fan of the Atomic feel and tones. So much so that I'm now building a board that, including the Amplifire, will end up costing me more than a Helix. To be fair, there has been a certain amount of 'scope creep' in my board design though.

Madmax, N'wah and Oliver Carefull like this.
  14. Madmax

Madmax Well-Known Member

I did the exact same thing. Bought the Stomp with the intent of replacing the AA3. In the end I just enjoy the amp modeling in the AA more so I run the Stomp in 4CM with the AA and it’s awesome!

N'wah likes this.
  15. N'wah

N'wah Member

I ordered a AA6 from andertons, if i don't like it i can return it for 20 bucks loss, i figure that's worth it lol.

I just hope fractal doesn't come out with the AX4 for 600 bucks at fractal fest right after the try-out period ends lol

Madmax likes this.
  16. Madmax

Madmax Well-Known Member

I don’t think we’ll ever see a time where Fractal releases ANYTHING for the price of 600 bucks...

17. N'wah

N'wah Member

they released the AX8 though when helix released right? and it's almost the same price

18. dotpc

dotpc Member

Did you try adjusting high cut with the Helix cabs? Did you turn on the input pad? Those two things made a huge difference for me. I have the AA6 and the Helix and love both. Before those I only liked analog amps.

19. ConstantinosM

ConstantinosM Member

i've had AA3 sold it and got the AA6 and i've also used helix quite a bit. the feeling of the AA amp models (all of them high, mid or low gain) is miles ahead from the helix ones. some of them are even better than the ones in the fractal racks. the ui in the helix is more intuitive and user friendly but then again in the amplifire it's simpler in terms of fewer buttons involved. and from my experience it was much easier to dial up a good tone in the AA simply because it has a much better quality starting point in the amp models. the effects in the amplifire are more than enough for 95% of the players. it has no synth or fancy modulations but personally i've always found those extreme things to detract from the tone rather than enhance it. to conclude and judging from my experience with both these machines if you didnt like the helix i think you will love the amplifire. the same thing happened to me. it's a much more inspiring piece of gear and it gives you the sensation that it is sort of "alive" when other modelers simply make a sound like a guitar amp

20. mosola2

mosola2 Member

Madmax, with your setup can you run an amp model from the HX Stomp into an IR of the Amplifire?

Madmax likes this.