If you could add just 1 amp to AmpliFIRE what would it be?

Discussion in 'Discussion' started by NelsonP, Oct 9, 2017.

1. thegummy

thegummy Active Member

A big muff.

Never actually tried one but it's used by some great players and who doesn't love a big muff!

Might pair well with the hairy brown eye...

Slartibartfarst42 likes this.
  2. Meiannatee

Meiannatee Well-Known Member

Just 1 amp? Easy: Kemper Profiling Amplifier

3. Slartibartfarst42

Slartibartfarst42 Well-Known Member

I've seen this whole thing about Kemper come up again and again on this forum and I absolutely fail to see the reasoning, not because I think the AmpliFire is better but because I think it's a largely pointless debate. For a start, the Kemper is MASSIVELY more expensive than an AmpliFire and for that much more money, I'd be extremely disappointed if it wasn't better than the AmpliFire, at least in some ways. It seems to me that this is like me going onto the Digitech forum and constantly saying that the AmpliFire is better than a Digitech RP360. Well obviously it is and it's bound to be because it has loads more processing power and costs significantly more money.

The key question that needs to be asked is whether it's worth the difference and that entirely depends on who you ask. One of my students is buying an RP360 and for him, as a learner, it's a great buy and does the job very well. The Atomic simply isn't worth the extra for him because he doesn't need it and he'll never appreciate the difference at this stage. For me, the Atomic is well worth the money and it does a fantastic job but then I can afford it and I'm experienced enough to appreciate what it offers. I might consider the Kemper as an alternative but then I'd have to part with a hell of a lot more cash for what I see as very limited benefits. As with any product in life, the further you move up in price, the less you tend to get for your money. I bought a Gibson Les Paul Studio a few years ago for about £800. I could have spent £2500 on a Les Paul and it would have been better but by any objective measure, it was never more than three times better than my Studio. For some people I'm sure the Kemper is a better option but as I'm not a professional musician, I just don't see the appeal. In my case I could afford one but I'm not prepared to pay that much more for such a minimal return on my investment. I play in the home and occasional gigs and for that, the AmpliFire does a stunningly good job. I get tones that are as good as anything else I've ever heard and better than the Helix, all for a price that is lower than anything comparable on the market. What's not to like?

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure the Kemper is brilliant and if you're good enough to justify that level of expenditure, or you're just daft enough to spend that much cash, I wish you well and hope it's all you're looking for but with a price difference this big, the Kemper and the AmpliFire aren't direct competitors. Kempers come in at about £1,500 and if you want the convenience of footswitches you're looking at more like £1,900 whereas we have £540 for an AA3 and £700 for an AA12. Is the Kemper seriously £1,000 - £1,500 better than the AmpliFire? I seriously doubt it, though I'd be amazed if it wasn't better in some ways for such a huge price difference.

I want to make it clear that I'm NOT having a go at Meiannatee in this post as I have no idea without researching it, who is making all these posts about the Kemper being so superior over the AmpliFire, it's just that I've noticed quite a few posts along these lines and I'm getting tired of such a spurious comparison being made. Comparing the two is about as useful as comparing the AmpliFire with a budget Digitech.

Dan Andrews and Leperclown like this.
  4. dmock66

dmock66 Active Member

The Mesa Mark V: 25 video above was really nice.

CKDexterHaven likes this.
  5. bshaw92

bshaw92 Member

I would suggest that you make a try with the power amp sections KT66, EL84...etc and see if you cannot get close. I have matched an OR15 and Dr Z Route 66 using those and am very pleased with the results. (3) presets of each across the range I would use the amp. Doesn't work for everything, but you may get a few you are looking for.

CKDexterHaven likes this.
  6. Andy

Andy Active Member

I’ll be glad to see some day a model of the clean Channel of a Mesa Boogie and get the low gain tones from the video (every mesa model I have tried was intended for hi gain).

7. Bramley

Bramley New Member

Bluesbreaker .

Andy likes this.
  8. Elric

Elric Member

Amplifire needs some Bogner love.

9. Meiannatee

Meiannatee Well-Known Member

Hey man I was just kidding. And what I meant was Atomic adding a "model" of the Kemper to the Amplifire :)

Leperclown and dmock66 like this.
  10. thegummy

thegummy Active Member

Would like a model of a blues driver pedal.

(Also, sorry it's not really the place to say it but the number 1 thing I'd love is if midi cc messages could control what expression pedals can control at the moment. Would surely be so so easy to add and would make the world of difference.)

11. guarjol

guarjol Member

Roland JC120

Andy likes this.