Jerry Garcia tone

Discussion in 'Preset Exchange' started by Hendu, Nov 18, 2018.

1. Hendu

Hendu New Member

Looking for anyone that has played with finding a nice clean Jerry tone...or even a John Mayer Dead & Co?

2. Phitz

Phitz New Member

I'd be interested in this too - probably involves the 65 Clean amp since Jerry Garcia used '72 Twin Reverb Head Preamp => McIntosh MC2300 amp => 1x12 JBL E120 Cabinet. Can anybody help?

3. Matt

Matt Active Member

I haven’t gone there yet, but I think you are correct about the starting point. Pair the 65 Clean with something in the JBL x120 range for a cabinet IR.

Pair that with the right guitar and pickup and you should be close for the clean tones. I believe both Jerry and Mayer with D&C use(d) a lot of middle pickup FWIW. After that, there is a whole lot of right hand technique involved in the tone as well.

I don’t think the Amplifire can do the Mutron envelope filter effect so you will need to go to external pedals to match that. Be aware, that is its own rabit hole as any envelope filter is sensitive to input volume and they really need a compressor after them as well. It is my understanding that the input volume issues are why Jerry wired an active pre-amp and effects loop into his guitars.

If anyone goes down this path, good luck and please share your progress.