Just ordered the AmpliFIER 12!

Discussion in 'Discussion' started by Foghorn Leghorn, Jan 10, 2020.

1. Foghorn Leghorn

Foghorn Leghorn Active Member

annnd it's HERE! Now I just need enough time to plug it in. (grrr...) Must do this tomorrow! I have a TC Elect Polytune3 & MojoMojo OD as well as a minty-fresh BOSS FV-30 Volume pedal at the ready... as well as my PRS Silver Sky I just acquired on the 11th of this month. Papa is a happy camper!

I'll post a not-so-great pic of the new PRS below the AA12...just a SUPERB guitar. Let the bashers bash away. Among others, I've had many Fender Stratocasters over the years (my last main touring guitar was a '57 Vintage Hot Rod I used for 5 years exclusively with '62 VHR as a backup) as well as Tom Anderson guitars, and the SS is just incredible. It's like they telepathically got in my head and addressed every "thing" I wanted different, or considered a weak spot with Stratocasters. YMMV.

Thanks for letting me grin a bit here. I'm a very thankful man, and Tom at Atomic was a pleasure to speak to last week. Can't wait to fire this up tomorrow.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. slateboy

slateboy Senior Member

Home Page:
    Nice one. Hours more fun playing rather than menu diving ahead :cool:
    Who else still has the protective screen sticker on their display?

DreamTheaterRules likes this.
  3. Dagwin

Dagwin Well-Known Member

I do... ;-)

4. Dave_5150

Dave_5150 Senior Member

I did on my spare one right up until I sold it

5. DreamTheaterRules

DreamTheaterRules Well-Known Member

Congrats on the AA12 and big congrats on the SS! Big PRS fan here and really want to try one of those, as I've just never bonded with strats and LOVE my PRS guitars. Have fun with both!

6. Foghorn Leghorn

lol it still hasn't been plugged-in yet today, but that sticker will probably stay on there awhile... thanks!

7. Foghorn Leghorn

Which one is that in your avatar pic?

Huge PRS fan and user as well....got my first two new ones in 1988 (Cust 24, and a Metalfoil special) added a '89 Signature Custom, some years later a 1st production run SC245, two '07 SemiHollow Singlecuts (a dealer special run in 2007), and a EG H/S/S. That was many moons (no pun intended) ago.... they all had to go at the time. Now there is that wonderful SilverSky that I'm blessed with. Definitely a different animal than the types of PRS I gravitate towards, but it's certainly a winner.
    Anybody on the fence about them due to all the "True stratocaster" naysayers, I say just go try one and watch your jaw drop. Hehe... Now to have some dinner so I can go plug in the AA12 afterwards!

Last edited: Feb 29, 2020
    DreamTheaterRules likes this.
  8. Foghorn Leghorn

Ok tonight I was able to spend a bit of time with the AA12 thru some headphones I picked up at BestBuy...

Very impressive.

Though it's not the right sonic situation ( I need a FRFR CLR) It certainly has MUCH MUCH better factory presets than my X3Live! did when I got it years ago.
    Having said that, I need to dig in and roll my own programs/amps...I haven't done a thing with it yet aside from checking out the factory sounds. Perhaps I'll download some cool stuff some of you all have on offer here. Nope and I haven't hooked it up to my PC yet, but i have the editor software installed.

I really like the "patch" type of layout this ships with, as this is what I'm used to from many years of midi-controlled rigs I had. Now to get on the list and put away some coin for a CLR(and later a second one for a stereo rig) so I can do this right.

BMoe likes this.
  9. irazoqui

irazoqui New Member

Home Page:
    Hi Dave!

Do you still use the Sonic stomp with your AA?
    I'm planning to buy one to use it on the loop of my AA3.
    A friend told me today that he was using this pedal with his Helix and the results were fantastic....

10. Phil M

Phil M Member

You’ve been quiet - how is it going with your AA12?

11. Dave_5150

Dave_5150 Senior Member

No, sorry I've not used that pedal for around 10 years

12. Foghorn Leghorn

Thanks for asking, Phil M....first thing I did was ditch those BestBuy headphones and bought some Status CB-1 headphones to start with. Flat response like studio monitors, and were highly recommended and a decent price. Very nice cans. The AA12 sounded great through them, the little bit I had to spend checking them out.

Unfortunately.... been too swamped to be able to spend any time with either the AA12 or my new PRS...they were both literally used only a few minutes (!!)...UNTIL TODAY...I ran it into the front end of a Vox Valvetronix 10" combo that was kindly given to me months ago.
    Yuck. Not a good pairing. I won't go into the un-superlatives of what it sounded like, as I don't want prospective Atomic customers to think it's definitive of Atomic products, as it clearly ISN'T.

I know better than that, but it's what was onhand at the moment; and although I've hooked the AA12 up to my laptop to check out the AmplifireEditor, there hasn’t been time to switch off those cab/speaker sims or do any tweaking to make it sound better through the little Valvetronix.

I suspect it won't make much difference as I don't like that amp much as it is. lol

Truth be told, what gear I had left when I took a musical break went up in flames in a storage fire, so I'm starting from scratch. Someday soon I hope to be able to acquire that CLR FRFR monitor that Atomic makes to properly broadcast what the AA12 is capable of and have some fully-produced, amp-like sounds that will motivate and inspire me (while moving some air like a real amp!). The AA12 through my Valvetronix was pretty much the opposite of that, and no fault of the AA12. I'll try and spend some more time with the headphones ASAP. Will keep you posted!

Last edited: Feb 29, 2020
    Phil M likes this.
  13. Foghorn Leghorn

I finally, FINALLY spent about 3 hours into this early morning with the AA12 and my Silver Sky through those CB-1 headphones that I mentioned in my last post. Unfortunately, my number for a CLR came up last week via email, but we needed to put some funds into the car while my missus was out of town with it....and now this CoronaVirus obstructing normal day to day life (with "shelter-ins") for awhile, I may not get a powered FRFR monitor for awhile; but I can tell you that things seem pretty spiffy with the AA12. I have not yet modified any presets or created my one, or downloaded any stuff into it.

So I haven't even scratched the surface of it to "make it my rig" yet. But I truly hear the potential. That being said, I sure would like an external amplification solution, and an external OD box addition, and the Revival Drive (either size) seems to be the direction I'll go to supplement/alternate between the AA12's OD. (Thank you Jace for mentioning that product)

Jace Nuzback likes this.
  14. DreamTheaterRules

DreamTheaterRules Well-Known Member

Sorry, just saw this. That is a newer Custom 24. It has 59/09s. I have a 97 Custom 22, the C24 in the pic, an NF3, a 25th Anniversary Custom 22 Semi-Hollow Limited, and a core Mira. They are all fantastic. The NF3 is my “fat strat” for now. Just a KILLER guitar with incredible pickups.

Foghorn Leghorn likes this.
  15. flynv

flynv Member

I luv mine. So have some fun.

16. Foghorn Leghorn

Just had a FRFR speaker arrive a few days ago. Sadly, I had to pass on my place in line for the CLR as we had an unforeseen issue that required some financial wampum a few weeks ago and that modified my slush fund and ruled out the CLR but I needed something...that being said, I finally have been able to hear the AA12 amplified.

Incredible.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2020 at 3:15 AM
  17. Foghorn Leghorn

I'm thinking of purchasing some packs to augment/maximize the Atomic factory stuff & did download (but haven't installed) Singtall Superpack & TAF presets.

This is a whole new world for me coming from a wet/dry/wet tube (and rack FX) rig used for years (Soldano & Marshall), to the X3Live I last employed from 2007-2010 but never imported anything - just tweaked the included models. This seems like yet another leap from my last one... but a HUGE one, for all guitarists, like the one I made in the 80's going from pedals, heads & knob twiddling to menu-based parameters in the digital world & FX loops so many years ago....but this is such a HUGE leap from that, and am working on getting my brain wrapped around it all.

It's bewildering and exciting at the same time. After finally being able to use my AA12 with the FRFR speaker I now have, I guess it's time to get out the laptop, AA12, and FRFR and get to work for editing and making my own patches and "rig". If I can manage to acquire a Revival Drive to augment the AA12 I think I'll have all the bases covered for quite awhile....until I can go stereo with a second FRFR. (cackle)