Looking for Live Use Advice

Discussion in 'Discussion' started by MSDTrinity, Mar 6, 2019.

1. MSDTrinity

MSDTrinity Member

Hi All,

On Saturday I'm playing my first gig with my AA12. I've been slowly messing with it the past couple of weeks and I think I've got 3 patches I like right now. I plan to keep it simple until I get used to how it works. I made the commitment to roll with this after last Sunday I played a festival and my Fender Vibrolux went into some frenzied feedback mode and drove me crazy for the whole hour we played because it sounded NOTHING like it normally did (another time for that though).

I'm looking for advice, tips, tricks, ideas anything you can spare for using the AA12 live. I'm going to have a VERY simplified setup (not sure if I'm going to put any pedals in front right now) but basically, I'm planning to run the MAIN L out to an Alto TS312 speaker to sit in front of me dedicated to guitar. A second monitor for vocal monitoring. Using the AUX out to the mixer and panning L/R for the stereo effect.

I've got an excellent PA (QSC K12's with matching K-SUBS). The other guitarist is using a Mesa Boogie DC-5 (usually set to like .01 master volume - it is awesome when it gets up there) and we mic him normally.

I control the sound (no sound guy). I use an XAIR-18 mixer with my iPad so luckily I can walk around the venue.

I'm a little worried about playing without my backline amp. I don't have time to pickup a Duncan PowerStage 170 and just use my speakers on my Vibrolux so the Alto is all that I have.

Anything you can think of that might be helpful is welcome. I just want to sound good! HELP!!!

oakcharles19 likes this.
  2. flcmcya

flcmcya Senior Member

You can use an expression pedal to bring reverb or whatever in and out...... kind of handy!

MSDTrinity likes this.
  3. Seven Heaslip

Seven Heaslip New Member

Coming from someone who has just delved into the use of cab sim & using an AA6 live my advise would be to prepare & edit your patches using your FOH rig at home/in a practice room at a decent volume (if possible, & as close to gig volume as you can), even if it's just one sub & one K12. If you edit your patches at low volume or using headphones it's not a true representation of what things will sound like in a live room at gig volume. At gig volume things get much brighter & bassier & your drives can stick out in the mix volume wise much more than clean tones, or vice versa.

If you're a pedal into clean amp type of player like me another thing I did on my first couple of gigs as a safety net is set up a clean patch that closely resembles the sound of my Fender amp & run my dirt pedals (or whatever others you need to) into the Amplifire so that way if any of your drive patches are out of whack at the gig you can easily revert to using your dirt pedals you are used to the sound & settings of with this clean patch on the AA12.
    I'd also suggest reading up on this forum where people have already given great advice on setting up patches & sounds to be "gig-ready" e.g. using Para EQ to roll off bottom end & bringing the cab rolloff down etc.

MSDTrinity likes this.
  4. MSDTrinity

MSDTrinity Member

Thanks for that. It seems to be the advice I'm getting from the The Gear Page as well. Spot on. Again thanks!

5. oakcharles19

oakcharles19 Active Member

The best piece of advice is definitely to setup your patches (at least) at practice volume, if possible with studio monitors or flat frequency monitors/speakers. What I do is use a decibel meter app on my iphone to get to 80 - 85 db (the frequency curve normalizes at that volume, so that there are no surprises with too high highs or too low lows at higher volumes) and work my patches playing at that volume.

Also, these two posts are gold:

https://atomicamps.com/forum/index.php?threads/setting-levels.2140/#post-12917

https://atomicamps.com/forum/index.php?threads/tone-tips.1830/#post-10934

Finally, if you are using the MAIN out for stage monitoring and the AUX out for FOH, my advice would be to set the level knob to control ONLY the MAIN output, that way if you need more volume on stage you can increase it without messing up the level sent to FOH, which by the way I have set up to -20db for the AUX out and the sound guys have never complained about the signal being too hot

Let us know how it went! Have fun!

MSDTrinity likes this.