Gear Low volume FRFR options for modellers

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by DL_57, May 2, 2020.

1. DL_57

DL_57 Member

Since purchasing my AFB some time ago I’ve been trying to find a workable solution for low volume playing/practicing at home. I have never liked using headphones, so that leaves me with my powered monitors, but I find that setup limiting and not at all portable.
    I have read on other forums about people getting very good results by using Yamaha THR with modelling setups, but I just discovered the IK Multimedia iLoud 40w stereo bluetooth speaker and wondered if any of you had tried combining these with an Atomic Amplifire or AFB, or what else you’d suggest? Although I doubt the stereo separation is particularly good, the iLoud can be found considerably cheaper than a THR - especially here in Europe where I am, where even the first generation THRs are still very expensive.
    The ideal would be a small stereo combo similar to a THR with stereo i/o and an FX loop, but unfortunately that seems never to have been made available, although I imagine such a device would be very attractive to users of modellers.

2. yellow

yellow New Member

hey! i had a thr10c, sold it then got an iloud + software ampsims and now an AA6 is coming next week :)
    what i can say is that i love a lot the iloud. anyway, i'm not that kind of audiophile guy .. but for me they both sound really good, though really appreciate the 40w from the iloud vs the 10c also, the 1/8 input from the 10c seemed more noisy than the one in the iloud, which works as should do.
    next week i'll know how AA6 + iloud is going to be!

3. Matt

Matt Well-Known Member

I have yet to see a Bluetooth wireless solution where the latency was low enough for guitar playing.

4. mnewse

mnewse Well-Known Member

I bought these bluetooth speakers at Walmart for $4 a piece. I run 1/4 out afb reduced to 1/8 into the aux of my bluetooth. Sounds fantastic, patches translate very well from my hs80s , of course it's a small speaker so your not playing small shows but for writing I love it

Attached Files:

5. mnewse

mnewse Well-Known Member

6. Quadfire

Quadfire Well-Known Member

Bluetooth speakers may work if you use an aux-in instead of bluetooth. No guarantees these days as often there is a DSP that adds latency eve via aux-in.

7. mnewse

mnewse Well-Known Member

Well my video proves they do work for me, but I'm not trying to sell them either so I gain nothing from it. This solution though for me is the best travel rig by size, weight, and tone that I've had. But as we all know what works for one doesn't work for all. Also, the atomic does not have bluetooth capabilities

8. mnewse

mnewse Well-Known Member

Here's my practice rig now, frfr with the bluetooth speaker and the power source, I can play anywhere

Attached Files:

Quadfire likes this.