Open Source Amplifire Editor

Discussion in 'Wishlist' started by Brewbuck72, Apr 25, 2017.

1. Brewbuck72

Brewbuck72 Member

I am perfectly content with the current set of amps, effects, and feature on the Amplifire but the one thing I struggle with is the editor. Reading through some of the other wishlist requests, it seems that others would also like to see an expanded set of features and support (off-line editing, Linux support, simple edit mode, effect preset drop downs, etc.).

Would it be possible for Atomic to publish an API which would allow members of the user community to develop our own editor software? Make it open source so anyone can modify or contribute. I suspect this could be done without exposing any proprietary information and would give users a little more "ownership" in the product.

I'm sure there are some potential issues with this idea but it would be interesting to see if it could be done.

onyir, Carl3o3 and UnnoTed like this.
  2. Dayron

Dayron Member

I doubt that it will ever happen, but i'm 100% for open source, nice idea :)

3. viden

viden Well-Known Member

Reverse-engineering the presets might however be possible.
    Looking at the preset file the first block looks like the parameter map to me.
    The rows look like
    param index,
    param value,
    param index
    param value,

Starting off with a preset with everything set to 12 or 0 and then tweaking individual settings and saving should be pretty easy to make out which preset / setting is saved where.

4. Brewbuck72

Brewbuck72 Member

viden, I tried to reverse engineer a preset file and it was not that simple (unexpected value changes and changes on the GUI resulting in no change to the preset file). I'm sure it could be done but would likely require a brute force approach that would take a long time given all of the tweak-able parameters.

Assuming the programming API could be opened without exposing any of the company's "secret sauce" or risking physical damage to the hardware, this seems like a good way to differentiate the product from other modeling units.

5. Andrei

Andrei Well-Known Member

This X 1000. If the resources are tight, at least community could help fixing and improving the editor. I would gladly work on it if it were published on Github.

JiveTurkey and UnnoTed like this.
  6. Marcus Baw

Marcus Baw Member

+1 for Amplifire releasing the programming API for the presets files - not only would this open up the possibility of an open source settings editor, but it would mean the possibility of programmatically generating presets using a language like Python or Ruby, and mean creators and makers could use low-power, low-cost hardware like the Raspberry Pi to give them advanced portable patch editing. It's a way for Atomic to differentiate themselves in the marketplace, and as previous posters have mentioned, it could be done without giving away any of the internals of the Amplifire unit.

7. arielyitus

arielyitus Member

8. Brewbuck72

Brewbuck72 Member

Nice to know I am not the only one interested in this. Summer is a busy time for me so haven't, and won't, have time to work on this for a few months yet. I'll definitely post when I get back to trying to crack the code. Good luck with your efforts.