Other power supply options

Discussion in 'Discussion' started by Greg Miller, Apr 5, 2017.

1. Greg Miller

Greg Miller Well-Known Member

Contract Manager/Writer/Musician
    I know the AA3 draws quite a bit of power, more than my VL ISO-5 can put out.

But I have a box full of power supplies. Being able to use one would be handy at times like now when I don't need or want my pedalboard.

I have a couple of old POD PSs that put like 2000 ma. The plug seem the same (not expert in these matters). Can I use one of these? I assume the AA3 will only draw what it needs and won't combust.

Thanks!

2. aleclee

aleclee Forum Tech Wrangler Staff Member

IT
    Why are you looking to use something other than the factory PS? That info will help focus the answers to something that's practical to you.

3. Greg Miller

So I can leave it in the studio. It's plugged into the back of a small rack and I'd prefer to just leave it there and keep the alternate unit in the gig case.

I looked to see if you could just buy an Atomic PS, but apparently you cannot.

4. Wyatt McConnell

Wyatt McConnell Senior Member

The amplifire isn't sensitive to + or - center pin, so you're pretty safe chucking a 9V adapter that fits into it. The power supply will only provide as much current as the Amplifire draws, so no worries if its rated at 5 giga-amps or 1 amp. If the power supply isn't able to provide enough current, you'll get spotty (or non) operation but its not gonna break anything. Amplifire needs 800mAmps of current, so target something that can provide at least that amount.

Unless a unit is designed to take both + or - center pin safely, then you always need to confirm to make sure the power supply you are using has its output plug in the right polarity for your device.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
    Bryon Harris, DMiller and Greg Miller like this.
  5. Jr.Deluxe

Jr.Deluxe Well-Known Member

Guitar center live wire brand. 1.2amps (1200mA) and 1.7amps (1700mA) peak. 9v. Center negative. Works good with the amplifire and is under $20.

Greg Miller likes this.
  6. dbagchee

dbagchee Well-Known Member

Godlyke Power Adapter also works fine.

Greg Miller likes this.
  7. Greg Miller

Thanks everyone! And Wyatt - GREAT explanation!

Actually I think i have a Godlyke PS somewhere...would be ideal. The L6 adapters are huge but would not be a problem in the studio. Fitting one in my little RockSak gig case would look like a python that swallowed a dog or something.

To be honest, I was ready to bail on Atomic and sell out to Fractal. But this forum has changed everything and due to this group of users, I am enjoying my AA3 and have backed off on my Fractal binging.

aleclee likes this.
  8. DMiller

DMiller Well-Known Member

Reading this makes me think I may be okay? I've been using a 1 Spot CS7 that has a 2x 500mah outputs to power the AmpliFire. It's working fine, but I've been wondering if I'm causing potential problems to the AF down the road. I have a question sent to truetone (CS7) support since I read on another site that their power ratings are actually higher than reported. I don't mind getting as doubler cable if that is a better solution.

9. Guitar1969

Guitar1969 Senior Member

10. Wyatt McConnell

I think @flcmcya can explain a bit more about the unique abilities of the 1 Spot that allow it to work fine.

DMiller likes this.
  11. flcmcya

flcmcya Senior Member

Trutone has mentioned you can run any pedal on any output but you don't want too exceed the total amperage of the power supply.

Ran my A3 on one of the 500ma taps. :cool:

12. bioboy

bioboy Well-Known Member

working dead...
    there are a lot of post regarding PS cause the power supply mith still alive :p... (ok I know we come from the analog tip-tap dancing generations:D)
    the AA is a DIGITAL processor (like your laptop, you phone, etc....)there is NO interaction between PS and AA sound
    you can use any common stabilized PS from 9 to 12V both AC or DC both polarity +-/-+ with an A range from 1 to no virtual limit (for example something like a 3$ Chinese PS rebranded by 1spot :D) in other words the most important factor is that the PS must be able to give a min of 1A (no matter if the max A is 3 or 5A cause the AA like any other devices use only the needed quantity) so my tips is save your money guys ;)

13. Wyatt McConnell

It has an analog input and analog outputs. I agree that there is a lot of myth around power supplies, but there's still critical analog audio pathways in Amplifire.

14. bioboy

bioboy Well-Known Member

working dead...
    trust me there is absolutely no interaction between PS and sound in the amplifire... the audio mod (the raw audio) is totally digital nothing analog here;)

DMiller likes this.
  15. DMiller

DMiller Well-Known Member

Thanks - I was concerned, but after reading some more and emailing truetone's support - I'm running smooth on a 500ma as well.