Overdriven P&W Rhythm Preset

Discussion in 'Preset Exchange' started by viden, Apr 3, 2017.

1. viden

viden Active Member

Hey,
    I just gut my AmpliFire last week and see that a lot of you guys are also using yours for P&W.
    I'm in a rather small church in Germany and got the AmpliFire to keep the stage volume low since my 50W tube amp just was to loud.
    I am now using the following setup:
    Fender MP Tele (SSH) into the Amplifire which goes directly into FOH (via XLR) with cab emulation enabled.
    The 1/4" goes into my tube amp FX return as monitor (with cab emulation disabled, with cabs enabled it was too dull).
    Also I have a Zoom G5Xn in the FX loop of the AmpliFire for Delays, Reverbs, ambient stuff etc.

I am trying to nail a good, bright overdriven rhythm preset that is similar to e.g. the rhythm guitar of
    Jesus Culture - Your love never fails

or
    Thrice - At the last (The brighter guitar on the right speaker)

I started out with the MB AC30 TS preset but I am not really 100% pleased with it. The overdrive seems a bit to gritty / growly and not as smooth as I would like it to be, especially if I play on the neck / middle pu.
    Also I have this harsh trebly "scratchyness" / hissing thats behind the normal distortion. (I don't have this on my amp but on the FOH speakers)

I would be very thankful for ideas or presets you are using that can help!

2. dxtrinc

dxtrinc Well-Known Member

You may want to try out a few different amp models. I know the AC30 is the staple for worship but you may get what you want out of something else. Also I am a big believer in IRs and how they effects the tones of everything. What IRs are you using? I love MBritts presets but I never got along with his Cab. Their AC30 cab is insane. Instantly gives you the Vox sound.

If you are looking for a really smooth overdrive the Rumble is based off the Dumble which is famous for its smooth OD tones. I am planning to get on that amp model once my studio is cleaned up and I can setup and spend some time with my Amplifire.

3. Wyatt McConnell

Wyatt McConnell Senior Member

There's an IR in the latest factory presets called CelstionBlue or something like that -- I prefer it to the matched-cab for the Vox amp. Agree on the MBritt IR...I was surprised to find that I don't really like the IRs that much in that pack. If Vox tones are your thing, you may want to check out the Celestion IRs, too, as reports are they're very good (my experience w/ the creambacks is they're very good): https://www.celestionplus.com/speakers/celestion-blue/
    Perhaps go with the 2x12 closed if you're concerned about treble scratchiness.

I also agree with experimenting with a few other amps using more of a Vox-style cab IR...Kornfield with gain dialed low and master high; Plexi, JCM800 and Dumble Brite would all be worth exploring.

I find the Screamer model to be really good, but also find that the "gain" needs to be pretty low to sound like a TS...in general there's just a lot more gain on tap than what I'm used to from a TS style pedal. Good Luck!

4. Culpster

Culpster Well-Known Member

What guitar are you using? That is a huge factor. A good portion of that rhythm tone is the telecaster.

5. Guitar1969

Guitar1969 Senior Member

I do love that tone but haven't done that song so havent tried to dia lit in yet.

For P&W I have been using the M Britt Matchless presets, which as you probably know is a Vox variation, and the real amps are pretty common in Worship along with the Vox's. It is a TM preset created by Britt from the Top Boost amp and some other Eqing.

I have then been playing around with various Cab IRs and and just recently bought the Celestion Blue 2x12 open back which sounds pretty good.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2017
    JerEvil and flcmcya like this.
  6. viden

viden Active Member

Hey, thanks for your replies, I'll definitely check these things out.
    @dxtrinc you where referring to "their" AC30 cab. Who did you mean by "them"?
    @Culpster I am using a Fender Modern Player Tele Plus model with stock SSH PUs which I really like cause it covers a lot of ground.

7. Guitar1969

Guitar1969 Senior Member

That is a good fit for P&W

8. dxtrinc

dxtrinc Well-Known Member

@viden Sorry about that! I thought I said the company name. I am a big fan of the 3 Sigma Audio Cabs.

THeir Vox AC30 cab can be found here near the bottom of the page. It' only $7 and it makes a world of difference in getting a great vox tone.

http://www.3sigmaaudio.com/items/category/2x12/

9. Guitar1969

Guitar1969 Senior Member

I have that AC-30 Cab, as I have been trying to chase that Vox U2 Edge amp sound. I was excited with it at first when I got it about 6 months ago but have since moved on. The problem is I had to turn the Cab Rolloff way down on the AF to get rid of excessive noise from the Cab, and then it sounded a bit lifeess. I even tried mixing a few of their different mic cabs.

You can give it a try, but the Celestion Blue 212 open back is $8 right now with a coupon code 33Off. There is alot of buzz about the Celestions over at TGP, but YMMV

But any of these options will be better than the matched cab. But the Britt 3P cab is pretty good too.

viden likes this.
  10. Guitar1969

Guitar1969 Senior Member

I just gave Your Love Never Fails a shot . Patch attached. It sounds pretty good on my Gibson ES335 with the Bridge PUP but since your Tele will be higher tonewise you might need to play with the tone on Boost block. Let me know if this helps or gives you a jumping off point.

Attached Files:

JerEvil and viden like this.
  11. viden

viden Active Member

@Guitar1969 thanks for taking the time to dial in the preset! I'll check it out as soon as I get my Amplifire back home again.
    Also, I bought the Celestion Bluebacks 212 closed and open IRs and am a bit overwhelmed by the mass of IR's they provide. Do you have any Recommendation of what to use?

12. Guitar1969

Guitar1969 Senior Member

You mean which particular mic placement or some other parameter. I am not totally familiar with what they give you, as I only bought their indiv one. For my preset you might want to swap out the Cab then to your Blue 212 Open back Cab which is what a Vox AC30 would have - It will sound better than the one I used in the preset because I couldn't share the one I bought. If you need some more direct help, PM me.

13. Meiannatee

Meiannatee Well-Known Member

Guitar1969 is super helpful, as usual.
    After I'm done with this busy period, might give it a go too. A bright OD patch that's smoother than the AC30 sounds like the Rumble Bright to me. Give it a go!

14. Mr. Brady

Mr. Brady Member

Here's my take on it.

I used a Vox amp. I like the master backed off as the default is to have it maxed and it's too bassy and woofy. Backing off the master, upping the level and adjusting gain to taste is what helped me with the Vox. The cab is the Singtall Warm cab that is free.

This is recorded through my AxFx as a recording interface, but it was just a straight line through the Ax to USB, nothing from the Axfx was added, if anything the quality is a bit lower that what I hear out of my Alto.

<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src=""></iframe>

Attached Files:

GoldtopG, mikewashmo and viden like this.
  15. Culpster

Culpster Well-Known Member

I like the sound. Very Bryan Adams sounding, in a good way. Downloading this tonight

16. viden

viden Active Member

@Mr. Brady thanks, really like the tone. I guess you where using a rather hot humbucker loaded guitar? I had to increase the gain quite a bit to get a similar result on my single coil Tele.
    But I actually really like your approach of dialling the master back and adding more gain. I find this a more natural sound than cranking the master way up and adding a Boost in front of it. That opens a whole lot of new options :) (upping gain on the AC30 when the master is full up doesn't end up in a nice distortion for my ears and isn't an alternative.)

17. Mr. Brady

Mr. Brady Member

Yes, I have a US Masters Legrange (in my avatar) strat with humbucker in the bridge that I recorded this with. I'd say playing around with the gain, the master on the amp, and the overall output level in the amp parameters should get you in the neighborhood. Also try the Kornford model with gain set low for a nice lower gain crunch. When I started playing with the vox amp on the amplifire, I really hated the sound. Then I realized that I probably wouldn't run a vox amp with the Master all the way up. I backed the master off and the distortion was tighter and warmer and I could actually use the gain knob to get things closer to what I liked.

18. Guitar1969

Guitar1969 Senior Member

Sounds Great. That should fit great for that song.

Want to try this out but I just moved to a Helix and sold my AF. As primarily a Worship player, I need something that has everything built in with more routing, and I have found a bunch of Helix patches made for Worship.

19. mikewashmo

mikewashmo Member

Downloaded it and it sounds good! Thanks, its a keeper!

20. Grayson73

Grayson73 Member

Thanks, I downloaded both Guitar1969's and Mr. Brady's and they both sound great!