Setting Levels

Discussion in 'Discussion' started by Fatherflot, Feb 10, 2019.

1. Fatherflot

Fatherflot Member

Can someone repost or point me to Jay Mitchell's directions on setting levels for the AAF?

2. Dave_5150

Dave_5150 Senior Member

NelsonP likes this.
  3. NelsonP

NelsonP Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Contact
    Jay MitchellMember
    I'm going to repeat my instructions here, to save folks a little searching. This takes a lot longer to type than it does to execute.

1. Turn on Amplifire, plug in your guitar (you'll need a cable for this). Do not turn on your monitor.

2. Select your cleanest, least compressedpreset.

3. Turn the Amplifire output level knob All the way up (that's 100%.)

4. Play your guitar with the hottest pickup (usually the neck) selected, the guitar controls all the way up, as loud as you can. Strum all six open strings. Play bar chords. Hard.

5. Pick a block in the Amplifire to set your preset levels. I suggest the level parameter in the amp block.

6. Turn up the level, then repeat from 4. above, until the display indicates digital clip. You've still got the level knob all the way up, right?

7. Turn down the level parameter in the selected block until you cannot create the clip condition, no matter how hard you play.

8. Save the preset.

You now have a reference for setting the levels of your other presets. For the next part, you'll need your monitor turned on, connected to the Amplifire, with its volume control set so you can hear sound. You do not need to set the Amplifire's level control to 100%. Listen to the preset you want to adjust. Select your reference preset. Listen to it. Adjust the level of the other preset to get a match. Save it. Switch back and forth a few times, play, and compare levels. Remember to save the level of the preset you're adjusting before switching back to the reference. When they match to your satisfaction, save the preset you were adjusting one more time. Repeat as necessary at your convenience.

Edit: When matching the level of a dirtier-sounding preset to your clean reference, it may help to do so with your guitar volume backed off a bit, so you're matching a clean(er) level. That gives you a little extra for solos and helps compensate for gainier sounds cutting less well.

Jem likes this.