1st Gig with MS-3 and AmpliFIRE

Discussion in 'Discussion' started by MJ Slaughter, Jul 16, 2017.

1. MJ Slaughter

MJ Slaughter Well-Known Member

I was apprehensive using this for the first time since I didn't even have a chance to try it at a rehearsal but it performed flawlessly. The only problem was the user because I'm not use to getting around it yet as well as I am with the GT-100. This was an outside gig, on the lake, in Texas, with high humidity and very high temperatures that started at 7pm so plenty of sunlight left. My very least favorite of all environments. Sure we had a roof over our head but that time of day the sun was already low enough to come at us from the side for a good 90 minutes.

Everyone's needs are different so it's nice there are so many options available but for me The MS-3 is the perfect mate to the A3. It gives me the control and effects I want that the A3 can't and it's small size allows it to fit on a small pedalboard so everything can stay connected and use it with the 4 cable method. I wanted a pedal like this from Boss for almost 2 years before it even hit the market so was a no brainer for me. Since owning the A3 I've tried different configurations that give me the control I need and effects I like to use.
    • A3 in a rack connected and controlled by the GT-100 worked well but was too bulky and impractical on tight stages.
    • RJM Mastermind MIDI controller, Line 6 M5, Zoom expression pedal. Mastermind works well, I didn't like the M5 and the Zoom pedal crapped out on me. Tried a RP360 but didn't like that either and it has no MIDI.
    • Back to using the A3 with the GT-100 but sitting on top of my pedal board. This was my favorite setup but the A3 couldn't stay connected and traveled in it's own gig bag.
    Initially I was only going to use it with the A3 but now I am considering using it with my Mesa amps as well instead of the GT-100 just so I don't have to maintain 2 pedalboards. Because of the 3 loops I can leave the A3 cables and snake cable for my Mesa amps connected so there isn't any rearranging when switching from one rig to the other.

The pedal has the three things I wanted in one tiny box. A controller that can send multiple MIDI commands with PC mapping, something the GT-100 couldn't do. FX loop switcher allowing the 4CM with external pedals controlled with patch changes and assigns. MFX including pitch effects I use that are lacking in the A3 and other effects that are easier for me to setup and get a good sound from. I like the effects the A3 has but was never satisfied with the reverbs and the delays are too cumbersome for my little brain to deal with.

This is just my prototype board I made to fit an existing case but since using it this past weekend I have a better idea of how I need to build and setup the permanent board.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]

2. Imerkat

Imerkat Member

awesome setup! now I have to look into the effects of the MS-3. wonder if it has ModVerb and such

3. MJ Slaughter

I don't know what a ModVerb is but it does have a Tera Echo and Uni Vibe that's kind of fun along with the other typical effects you'd expect.

4. Imerkat

Imerkat Member

It's in the Boss SY-300. if you cascade two in series they sound an awful lot like Big Sky Cloud

5. Madmax

Madmax Well-Known Member

Cool setup! Congratulations with finding something that works.

Just out of curiosity: What didn't you like about the M5? Only asking because I'm seriously considering adding one to my AA3 for preset changes, tap tempo, expression control and the occasional effect (such as whammy).

6. MJ Slaughter

I wanted a small pedal with MIDI, octave and other pitch effects so the M5 fit those needs well but the harmonizer didn't work for me. Someone wrote that they could use it as a controller for the AmpliFIRE and I realized that though small controllers are nice I like more control options than just a couple of buttons. I was able to use my expression pedal through the RJM MIDI controller>AmpliFIRE>M5 to control the whammy effect that was pretty cool. For the price it's a great small MFX with MIDI which is hard to find. In the end I just didn't use it much and changed my board setup to use my GT-100. I guess I'm just more of a Boss fanboy than I thought.

Madmax likes this.
  7. Babelfisch

Babelfisch Member

Could you tell me your signal flow? I am thinking about the same setup, but I want to keep my fender Blues deluxe and at the same time go into mixer or monitor. I cant find any wiring solution where I get Amp and Cab Simulation before the Modulations and Reverbs of the MS-3 into the mixer AND at the same time Amp Simulation before Mod and Reverb from MS-3 but NO Cab Simulation for going into the Blues Deluxe
    Thanks
    Michael

8. MJ Slaughter

I'm not sure I fully understand what you want to achieve and I'm running on minimal caffeine. With my setup the MS-3 is connected to the Amplifire via 4CM so effects could be placed before and after the amp then cab sim on for the sub out to FOH. I used the main out to my floor monitor so I could control my own stage volume. If you want to run one output to the mixer or monitor and the other to a guitar amp use the sub out with cabs on going the the mixer/monitor and the main out with cabs off going to the Fender FX return if running the Amplifire's preamps. If your Fender doesn't have an effects loop and you have to go into the input then you will still have the effects after the Amplifire's amp but in front of the Fenders preamp section.

I don't have this setup any longer but here is a diagram of something that might be close to what you're trying to do. It's been so long ago I don't remember what the results where like.
    [​IMG]

9. Babelfisch

Babelfisch Member

Thank you so much, THIS is the solution! Thanks!!!!!