A thought about presets on this exchange

Discussion in 'Preset Exchange' started by Rodi, May 12, 2020.

1. Rodi

Rodi Member

Hey,
    I'm looking forward to the day of getting an Amplifire AA12, it seems to me to be my type of situation, enough amps with capable effects. My main thought is to have reasonable amp types with reasonable cabs through a FFR or something similar.

So, I'm reading like crazy here, learning a lot before getting one, and a thought runs through my ears, "What if you download all the downloadable items and keep adding to the "Library" of presets?". Damn, I don't have many good ideas, but I think this could be a good way of keeping these presets (non commercial, of course).

Whadda ya all think?

Rodi

2. Dagwin

Dagwin Well-Known Member

I suggest you start small, modeling and IR's are rabbit holes you easily get lost in.
    Start with the stock preset and load also the "Stage ready" presets from @Jace Nuzback available on this form.
    Get to know presets and how to work them.

On the Atomic site, you can download also the free packs from Singtall and the Amp Factory, but they have been created with older firmware and need some tweaking (especially reverb).

The IR's included with the Amplifire are not too bad.
    You can get a free V30 IR from Celestion from their site.
    Also here, the possibilities are endless... Celestion and Ownhammer seem to be universally seen as good IR's. but there are many others...

I did the same as you, download any preset and (free) IR I could get my hands on.
    But after a while you have hundreds of presets and IR's that you have no time to ever test them all.
    Now I have 8 presets that I like and they all use the same IR :)

DreamTheaterRules and Rodi like this.
  3. NelsonP

NelsonP Senior Member

Which IR is that, and for which amp model?

4. Dagwin

Dagwin Well-Known Member

Celestion redbacks 4x12.
    I use it for the Mark IV, Rectifier, 5051, Arkham and a clean and crunch preset I don't remember the amp model for at the moment.
    Basically everything :)

It's a choice. I like the redbacks and they are different to what everybody else, so I have a bit of my own sound.
    If you want to exactly replicate sounds from bands you like, use the IR's of the speakers that they use.

Rodi likes this.
  5. Dave_5150

Dave_5150 Senior Member

I spent many years using borrowed or house 4x12's with G12M or V30's mic'ed with a SM57 at multi band shows so I tend to just use one of the SM57 IR shots from either York Audio's M20 (20w Greenback) or Bognor (V30) packs for my live sounds now.

Rodi likes this.
  6. Rodi

Rodi Member

fortunately, I have no need for recreating tones.I have limited space. I am hoping to move at least a couple of really great amps.