AA6 sounds better with cabs on?

Discussion in 'Discussion' started by Jem, Oct 12, 2019 at 1:15 PM.

1. Jem

Jem Active Member

I've tried my AA6 a couple of times with my power amp and guitar cabs and find that it actually sounds much better with the cab sims turned on. When I turn them off it sounds as bad as when they are off on my headphones. I wonder why that is? All other modelers seem to sound better with the cab turned off.

dubiousMe likes this.
  2. Eric Raymond

Eric Raymond Active Member

Odd you say that. Was playing last night with "double cabs", and it sounded pretty good. It was "middy", but not too muddy. In the past I have had the opposite experience and had some relief when turning the cab off.

I assumed it was related to the similarity of the two cabs, relatively low volumes, lower expectations from the small travel cab, and that I don't really know (care?) what each cab should sound like.

Could be the difference between liking the sound versus being an accurate rendition of the cabinet, playing in different acoustic environments at different volumes, the particular equipment, the comparability of the two cabs , or just "taste".

Last edited: Oct 17, 2019 at 3:27 PM
  3. dubiousMe

dubiousMe Well-Known Member

I have the same experience. Tried three different amps via fx return and had my cab sim engaged in all three situations.