Algorithmic plus Convolutional Reverb

Discussion in 'Discussion' started by Quadfire, Jun 19, 2020.

1. Quadfire

Quadfire Well-Known Member

A new plugin promises magical reverb qualities combining Algorithmic plus Convolutional Reverb.

Curious how this compares to AA using a reverb (presumably pure algorithmic) plus a cab IR? Would this have merit or be possible in the AA with some extra work?

Is the IR length in the Amplifire a limitation here? I'm guessing the plugin either requires a monster machine or limits the IR in some way? I care more about how it sounds and less about purity of the approach.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/new...ard-version-hybrid-convolution-algorithm.html

Last edited: Jun 20, 2020
  2. slateboy

slateboy Senior Member

Home Page:
    The cab IR is limited to a few thousand samples, which equates to a few milliseconds. Ideal for a cab IR but reverb will require a few seconds, which is significantly much more data/samples. Whether this power is hidden inside the AA I suspect not.
    Convoluting is processor intensive compared to other fx processing. The algorithm approach will be more efficient and more suited to a smaller system as is the case here. Someone may know more or wish to add to or correct me here.

3. Quadfire

Quadfire Well-Known Member

"They claim that they achieved this by converting true stereo IRs of specific spaces to algorithms"

So they unroll the reverb IR and model it with tweakable params.

4. Jay Mitchell

Jay Mitchell Well-Known Member

Here's a blurb from them: "Sound Magic has spent years in finding what a good Reverb is. After analyzing several famous reverb units, including lexicon 480l and 960L, Bricasti M7 and TC system 6000." Interesting. Not a word about studying the acoustics of physical halls. Maybe there's a clue there...
    No. It wouldn't work.
    Yes, among other things.