Can't dial out the obnoxious frequencies?

Discussion in 'Discussion' started by Krash Koblanski, May 29, 2019.

1. Krash Koblanski

Krash Koblanski New Member

CTmortgageman.com
    My third time around with the AF. I now have an AF6.
    The issue is, I can't seem to dial out obnoxious spikes. When I try to dial them out using low pass and a parametric with a narrow Q, it kills the high end excessively and the presets all sound thin and very POD like.

F.Y.I...I use the AF6 in a rack with a Lexicon PCM 81 a few SE-70's and line mixer. All this goes to a VHT 2/50/2 power amp and two 4x12's with celestion v30's. My analog pre-amps sound amazing through this setup, but I wanted to dial in the AF6 for other tones.
    It's SO bad that after an hour or less of tweaking, my ears are SHOT. My ears are completely fried, my tinnitus kicks in, then it's 48 hours or so of no guitar.

I switch off the IR's, I tried the power amp emulations and they sound awful. About the only way I can get a realistic sound/tone is by either using the Filter setting instead of a cab setting.
    I've owned many digital pre-amp and never had so much issue with setting up eq. Don't even get me started on clipping and levels...thoughts? experiences? help?

2. Dave_5150

Dave_5150 Senior Member

I've had no issues with using the PEQ blocks in post amp position set to peaking with a narrow q (high value) to drop any nasty frequencies by a few db

3. Dave_5150

Dave_5150 Senior Member

Have you tried setting your levels so the unit won't clip on your loudest (cleanest) preset with the output set at 100% with your monitors / amp switched off and then matching the volume of your other presets to that one by ear at a lower output setting?

4. turbodogfish

turbodogfish Member

for that matter, have you checked that the output from the AA isn't too hot overall? maybe you are causing too much distortion post-AA by running the outputs too loud. besides the volume knob, there's also controls to reduce the level of each output (1/4" or XLR)

5. slateboy

slateboy Senior Member

Home Page:
    forgive me if i'm telling you something you already know, but the larger the Q value, the narrower the frequency band affected.
    A small Q covers more "width" where as a large Q covers a narrow range.

Can you say if where your "obnoxious" frequencies are originating? ie, the amp section or a nasty cab IR?
    sometimes better to cure than prevent, ie, eliminate in the first place rather than patch-up and fix a nasty.

Have you perhaps heard the sound you seek elsewhere being played on an AA?

6. Metropolis

Metropolis Member

Use higher Q-values when cutting frequencies and dial in treble and presence sparingly with high volumes especially when it's a hi-gain amp model. Too much treble or presence can get obnoxious really quickly because our ears are most sensitive to them.