Chugg

Discussion in 'Discussion' started by JC Bullington, Sep 28, 2020.

1. JC Bullington

JC Bullington Active Member

Anybody have any luck getting your amplifire to chugg. No luck for me.trying to get close to the chugg that ola England, not sure if spelled right,
    seems to be able to get out of just about anything his reviews.
    Really getting bummed that I can't get that tone or feel I have in my head. One day I think dam my rig sounds great and few days later not so great
    Driving me crazy.

2. Dagwin

Dagwin Well-Known Member

Sometimes you just need to start from scratch again.
    Take an amp you like in real life and use the corresponding model in the amplifire with everything set at 5.
    Start tweaking.
    The video's from Leon Todd on Youtube have been of great help to me for dialing in a tone.
    However, what sounds great at home might not sound that great on rehearsals (different volume) or on gigs (different speakers).....

3. UXCow

UXCow Active Member

The AA is most certainly capable of Ola Englund (or Feared) tones. I prefer the 5150 model for it, but any of the other ultra high distortion models will do it, especially with a virtual dirt/boost pedal in front. Even the Hot Brit model will get there with some help.

If you're using the same speakers, be aware of ear fatigue. At high volumes it sets in really fast, and for me it causes problems with hearing treble the most, so what sounds fantastic after an hour of high volume (even through headphones which already skew the sound) will sound notably horrible the day after. The key here is to use moderate volume for a bit, keeping the ears fresh, and revisit the sound later, tweaking further as needed. I tend to use near field monitors, since I do recording almost exclusively with my unit, and very little live performance. Usually what works through those will be pretty close to a live sound anyway, so it works out well.

The AA is seriously flexible, and if you're not already using the adjusting software, that's really where it becomes useful (and why I like it as a studio tool). The feel is also there, depending on adjustments. Going bonkers on gain with EMGs in a guitar, and say, 7 on the gain of the 5150 model is too much. Back it down to something low, like 3ish, and if you need more, add a little hint of grit from the tube screaming model that has a tiny bit of distortion in it. That will give better clarity with some intense chugging.

If you're using single coils, try the gain at 4-4.5. That model has so much on tap (like the real amp) that it's, well, crazy, hence why the amp itself was called 5150 (police code for mentally ill).

4. NelsonP

NelsonP Senior Member

Try this

Model: Marc IV Lead
    Cab: Matched
    Gain 3
    Bass 4.7
    Mids 5.3
    Treble 6.2
    Presence 5.4
    Master 7

Boost: screamer
    Drive: 40%
    Tone: 30%
    Level: 6dB

GEQ
    80 hz 2.5dB
    160 hz 2.0 dB
    2.6 kHz -1dB
    5.1 kHz -1.5dB
    Keep others at 0dB

Bridge humbucker, vol and tone on 10. Also, tune to drop C.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2020
  5. Chalky

Chalky Well-Known Member

6. Chalky

Chalky Well-Known Member

Whoops, see what I did there? I meant try THIS

7. Chalky

Chalky Well-Known Member

I know it’s about FM3 (shock horror) but the theory and application of building gain and effects components is very similar.. hope it helps

8. NelsonP

NelsonP Senior Member

Also this