Echo block wishes

Discussion in 'Wishlist' started by Wyatt McConnell, Feb 9, 2017.

1. Wyatt McConnell

Wyatt McConnell Senior Member

Two broad topics - improve UI and improve modulation

(1) On the UI front, organize parameters in relation to their function, and make it easier to find like parameters. Keep the "modulation" parameters clumped together, have "tone" parameters clumped together, have the "delay line controls" clumped together, with all of the "delay time" knobs in one column, all of the "feedback" knobs in one column, all of the "pan" knobs in one column and all of the "mix" knobs in one column. Make it so I can see all of the parameters on the screen without having to scroll. Right now the delay feels complicated because its just a semi-random assortment of knobs without much organization so I can't see what's going on in a patch quickly at a glance, and I have to scroll to see all of the parameters.

(2) on the modulation front, it seems like allowing for control over type of modulation (vibrato, tremolo, chorus, flange, phase) and control over more parameters than just depth and rate is (a) doable, (b) more in-line with the delay block as its currently envisioned...obviously the idea is not to simplify things, so if we're not going to simplify things, let's go ahead and throw the kitchen sink in, but try to keep things better organized.

And finally -- if we could throw some filters in like the Pigtronix echolution, that would be AWESOME!!!!!!

In general I feel like the echo block is so close to being really great that I'd rather see that perfected before adding new effects...I can snag a Line6 M5 or small Zoom pedal for not much money to cover effects Amplifire doesn't do, but I've gotta lay out $500 to get an awesome delay pedal. I'd be more excited to see Amplifire have a KILLER delay and reverb section that matches the killer modeling section than see more amp models or effects added. It seems amplifire has the processing power to achieve killer delay/reverbs...and now I have a $600 box that replaces two Strymon pedals and a room full of amps.

2. flcmcya

flcmcya Senior Member

You and everyone else! ;)

Wyatt McConnell likes this.
  3. Meiannatee

Meiannatee Well-Known Member

4. Wyatt McConnell

The new patch, to me, doesn't really address much on the organization front - it's knobs instead of sliders, but the grid of knobs is still so big that I have to look with care to find the parameter I'm concerned about. TC tone print editor does a good job of organizing a lot of parameters.

I guess my point on "it's too complicated" front is that we passed that point a long time ago on delay, chorus, flange, phase and wha, so...Let's finish it up. If we're going to be complicated, let's at least not be limited...The delay block still feels limited in important ways despite its complicatedness.

I realize none of the request for features I've got here are new, I just wanted to note (1) it seems like a lot less work to make the delay block powerful enough to ditch the need for a timeline or echolution since it already has an LFO for flutter, and (2) I think there's more value - both financially and floorspace wise, in perfecting the delay and reverb than there is in adding moar effects. The idea of Amplifire seems to be "no-compromise amp/cab models...We may not have as many, but we didn't cut corners" - I'd like to see the same M.O. carried over to the effects section.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2017
  5. JBLR

JBLR Active Member

Totally agree with you, Wyatt.
    Improve what we have especially the reverb section, i always feel reverb is the less top quality section. Basically there are 3 differents room reverbs and 2 spring reverbs, i think it would works better with 4 basic reverbs:
    Room, Hall, Spring and Plate.
    In each one having a section of parameters like this:
    # GLOBAL
    - Mix
    - Decay (at higher point, freezing it)
    - Treble cut
    - Bass cut
    - Dry level
    - Width
    - Difusse
    - Gain
    - Resolution ( 32 to 8 bits)
    # MODULATION
    - Type (Chorus, Flanger, Phaser, Tremolo)
    - Rate
    - Deep
    - Wave
    # Pitch
    - Rate1 (from -2 oct to 2 oct)
    - Rate 2 (same)
    - Mix

With all this features, wow, we cover every reverb we could, or not, imagine from glittery nasty ambient to shimmer heaven.

6. JBLR

JBLR Active Member

I will move this idea to a new thread, so i hope this will be more......visible. ;-)

7. Wyatt McConnell

A first simple improvement (at least seems simple to me - may not be so simple under the hood):. Allow the LFO to be assigned to modulated pitch (I.e., flutter), level (I.e. tremolo), pan, hi-cut, or low-cut. The LFO is already there, if it could modulate other parameters...Big bang for seemingly little buck.