EMG pickups and Atomic gear query

Discussion in 'Discussion' started by Dave_5150, May 7, 2019.

1. Dave_5150

Dave_5150 Senior Member

Hi there, is anyone using EMG's and passive pickup equipped guitars with their Atomic products please?

I'm tempted to move to an EMG 57 in the bridge of my main single humbucker guitar to help with noise and signal consistency. But I wasn't sure how much work I'd need to do to tweak my existing passive pickup presets.

Can anyone share their experiences good or bad please?

2. Richie D C

Richie D C New Member

I use SD blackouts and they seem to work fine with my AA12....

3. Dave_5150

Dave_5150 Senior Member

Thanks for the feedback @Richie D C. I ended up trying an EMG 57 in my main guitar and it's works fine after spending a little time adjusting the height. I'm building a new guitar too and I've bought a set of EMG Retroactive Fat 55's for that one :)

Richie D C likes this.
  4. Richie D C

Richie D C New Member

I've had problems with certain amp models. Especially the top boost model, there is some harsh mushiness and artifacts with active pickups.... trying to figure it out. EMGs are not too bad, but blackouts are a bit of a pain in the neck with some things on the amplifire especially clean tone, they are stupidly high output, and I am almost tempted to put a resistor in the guitar to try and lower it a bit.... For example with my all valve peavey classic 30 amp, with the gain set to 3/10 with the blackout guitar, it is the overdrive equivalent of setting it to 5/10 on a normal guitar - far far higher output than EMG and that is not a good thing in my books....pretty crazy! A shame because the blackouts have a really good clean tone, once you dial them back

5. Richie D C

Richie D C New Member

I would be tempted to recommend not getting SD blackouts unless you only want to play high gain stuff....which is a shame , because the clean tone IS good, only if you turn the volume knob way down

6. Dave_5150

Dave_5150 Senior Member

Have you tried either setting the Pre block to gain only and lowering the gain into the amp block or running the volume in front of the amp block with the volume lower (like turning down the guitars volume knob)?

7. viden

viden Well-Known Member

I can confirm this technique works pretty well. I have used it on a couple of my patches. (Allthough not with my EMG guitar)

8. Dave_5150

Dave_5150 Senior Member

I've used both techniques successfully over the years to help dial in guitars with high output pickups into preset packs that were created with lower gain pickups. However you're always going to need to tweak other peoples presets anyway.

I've not actually experienced any issues or clipping with my EMG 57 equipped guitar with my own presets. I have it set around 1/8" away from the strings. I went active to reduce noise in my live rig and it's worked out really well.

9. Matt

Matt Well-Known Member

I don’t have any EMG equipped guitars, but I have a couple Strats with the Fender mid boost pre-amp. With the midboost on 0 and the volume around 7.5 it matches the passive output of the pickups.

Crank the volume to 10 and it has the same sound but a much hotter signal. Crank the mid boost as well and it is really hot, to the tune of +24 dB. The Amplifier handles this flawlessly with no input clipping.