How do you choose IRs?

Discussion in 'Discussion' started by Seven Heaslip, Nov 3, 2019.

1. Seven Heaslip

Seven Heaslip New Member

I'm curious as to what everyone's mindset & process is for selecting IRs......

Do you have a favourite IR & use that on most of your different amp models to maintain some sort of unity in feel & tone when switching between totally different amp models? Or do you choose a different IR for each amp model, or try match the IR to be what that particular amp would be used with in a real amp situation?

I mostly use the DLuxe model for my clean presets, occasionally the 59 B Man, so I have paired these up with third party IRs that are of those actual amp's cabs, as they seem to sound best & most authentic to my ears being I've used Fenders as a clean platform for pedals most of my life.
    With any overdriven or distorted amp presets (e.g. Britt800, Freeman HBE, Rumble, 5051, Arkhan, SLO etc) I tend to have a different approach & won't be fussed on using an IR of a cab that normally would be authentically paired with each amp in the real world, but instead will try find one that "EQs" the amp to as close to what I find pleasing & then use the amps EQ to apply the finishing touches, so to speak. So I generally use a different IR for each of my different dirty amp presets.

I'm guessing there's no right & wrong way to use IRs & it's whatever works to get you the sound you're happy with. But part of me wonders otherwise when I hear of others having a favourite IR which they will use on a bunch of different amp models & also if it's not maintaining a unity in your tone when flicking between different amp types that have different IRs during the course of say one song in a live situation, as I do....

2. Matt

Matt Well-Known Member

I choose IR’s based on the real amp/cab sound I am after.

For example, for the 65 Clean, I went with IR’s from a 2x12 with JBL D120’s (a great “upgrade” available right from Fender) as well as the traditional Jensons. Still looking for a Cannabis Rex IR as that is another great speaker to pair with Fender cleans.

To replicate Clapton’s Beano Marshall Bluesbreaker, I am using the Bassman amp model paired with 2x12 Celestion Alnico (not greenbacks!) IR’s.

For a Plexi, Celestion greenbacks, although for a Dwayne Alman sound, back to the JBL D120’s.

Seven Heaslip likes this.
  3. lespauled

lespauled Well-Known Member

record an amp only sound into my daw.

Use an IR loader on that track, and go through a bunch of IRs, until I find the ones I want to load.

4. oakcharles19

oakcharles19 Active Member

I try to research (mostly in forums) what the best reviewed IRs are and look for those. The first pack I bought was from Celestion and I did not care much about the sound, I couldn't and still can't get those IRs to sound good to my taste. After that, I bought OwnHammer and that's what I use 99% of the time. They are very consistent and have a great sound. I usually prefer Greenback style speakers and I am not a fan of V30s, as I can't seem to make those work with my amp sounds, but OwnHammer's IRs (even the V30s) are excellent. Recently, I have been using ML SoundLab IRs (bought the Halloween pack) and I got good results with those, but maybe I'll need to try one of their more traditional packs because the OwnHammer IRs beat those MLs.

There are two ways that I audition IRs:
    1. Load up a bunch of IRs into the AmpliFire (with the editor) - record a guitar riff or section using a looper pedal in front of the AmpliFire - switch IRs until I find the ones that I like
    2. Record a riff or section to my DAW with the Cab Block OFF, use an IR loader in in the DAW and spend hours listening until I find the IRs that work for me

I use studio monitors and headphones to audition IRs and the riff I record is usually from a song I like for which I have the isolated guitar tracks as reference. I try to level match and then tone match my riff to the real one and go from there. It's at least a good ear training exercise!