how is the compressor?

Discussion in 'Discussion' started by richardpavelec, Jun 28, 2017.

1. richardpavelec

richardpavelec New Member

i discovered Amplfire, late in the game. and i want to be exited!

for me, dirty modeling tone is not important (because i play acoustic-electric).what i look for is the very best compressor.

most of the floorboards these days use the same chip sets. it is what the code writers do with the power that sets things apart.

the axe-2 has the best compressor (it is multi-band).

the kemper has a master compressor, in addition to a compressor inside each amp patch. very kool!

Helix also has a 3 band

i want to know how clean and diverse the comps (and lims) are with ATOMIC. if i buy one, am i going to feel like i still need an external comp? or, is their internal one impressive? with clean tones, a good comp should NOT give raised floor noise. if it does, its not THAT good.

ideally, i want to know if with the Amplifire, i can ad both a comp and a limiter (in addition to delay and mod).

be be honest, Amplifire users! maybe some of you have tried the Axe-2 mult-band comp. so, you all know what i expect. no sense on getting cheaper unit (Amplifier) if i still need to ad an external comp and more path cables.

i am sure the Amplifire effect are good! but, talk about the comp, please?

2. Jr.Deluxe

Jr.Deluxe Well-Known Member

Unfortunitly the compressor isnt too terribly special in the atomic. Im not sure this unit would be all that effective for acoustic guitar.

3. Wyatt McConnell

Wyatt McConnell Senior Member

One compressor block that can be set as either a compressor or limiter, so your main goal can't be achieved. Its not multiband. As a compressor, I find it good as long as you don't use auto make-up gain because it seems to waaaaay overshoot how much gain is needed turning the compressor into a boost. When used like a dynacomp it does add some noise, but that's the nature of using something that's basically a limiter clamping down very hard and thus requiring quite a bit of make-up gain. If used as one would use it on an acoustic, I never found it to add much noise...but again, there's only one compressor block, so you can't really do what you want with it.

4. Quadfire

Quadfire Well-Known Member

Love the idea of a master limiter block at the end of the chain. This would be in addition to the current compressor/limiter and ideally operates across all presets.

My needs are limited, but others might want a more flexible master compressor/limiter like the Kemper. I only need a (studio?) limiter block at the end of the signal chain. The again, if the AA could provide something more like the Kemper....

[Apologies on reopening an old thread. This is a nice to have feature and suspect there are greater needs.]

5. slateboy

slateboy Senior Member

Home Page:
    The compressor tonal-options are limited, in my opinion, and something that i feel could be improved having used other compressors in multieffct units. However, I do rely on what is there and would be lost without it for taming my clean sounds and dont feel the need to have an additional compressor. As for noise introducing, i’ve not found it an issue but the very nature of compressing a signal and adding make-up gain will raise any noise present, whatever compressor you use.
    It takes a bit of coaxing to get the desired results. Maybe a future FW will offer something new.
    I think a limiter often proves useful for an acoustic guitar to calm those peaks and can often be employed with little, if any, make-up gain.
    The bottom line is that i think you need to try one out to judge for yourself as There will be varied opinions on this.

6. CKDexterHaven

CKDexterHaven Active Member

So, would something like a Mooer Yellow Comp or MXR Dyna Comp offer a significant benefit/upgrade? For clean(-ish) electric guitar and/or bass ?

7. slateboy

slateboy Senior Member

Home Page:
    Having not tried those myself, i can not comment if they would be a worthwhile addition or not.
    I like the fact everything is in one unit and, to me, that is the most valuable thing.

Quadfire likes this.
  8. Quadfire

I agree on the value of everything in one device in terms of space, cost, power, presets, and one less analog to digital to analog conversion.

I'd easily pay $1-$20 to unlock new/better effects ala Eventide H9 assuming there is a way to demo. Not sure if that works for the business, market, and technology.

I'd pay $100 for a MIDI command to change which parameter is controlled by expression 1 and 2 (and that holds the last value set for the old parameter). This is probably two commands to handle all 140+ assignable params (since CC params are limited to 128 values)

9. slateboy

slateboy Senior Member

Home Page:
    I think there is still much more potential left in the AA, either new amp-models, updated/new effects, bug-squashes or extra features. I wouldnt like to see the “paid-for add-ons” model (as some other companies do) but appreciate there will always be users willing to pay for these kind of things. I might be wrong but i dont think thats in atomic’s ethics. (That and the added complexity/code that could be devoted to “real” use)
    For whatever reason its remained in its current state for sometime now. Like yourself @Eric Raymond, Id like to see a few tweaks applied but if that never happens i’ll continue to use it as it is, as i do, working around the bits that gripe me but fully exploiting all the good stuff that makes it the awesome bit of kit that it is.

Quadfire likes this.
  10. Quadfire

The audio plane of the Amplifire is superb, the control plane is a weakness, and there is lots of untapped potential.

Optimistic that evolutionary updates like power amp impedance loading keep on coming. Hoping there's also small incremental changes to take out the low hanging fruit. It's a keeper no matter what.

[I'm way off topic for a compressor thread.....]

11. Superseed

Superseed Member

I find the compressor does an adequate job. I just started running my acoustic through the amplifire and it sounds great. After going down the rabbit hole of Acoustic IRs from 3 Sigma and others I surprisingly found the best results by using the "filter Only" setting in the cab block, compressor and all three Parametric EQ blocks. It's honestly the best live acoustic tone I've had and I'm super pleased.

12. caballero59

caballero59 Well-Known Member

Similar results here. Using 3 parametric EQS is giving me better tone than an acoustic IR. Do you remember your center frequencies and Q settings?

Jace Nuzback likes this.
  13. DreamTheaterRules

DreamTheaterRules Well-Known Member

Listening... I have a great electric with piezo’s and need something GOOD to use in my AA3. Any particulars, or presets you could share?