IR loader with mic positioning

Discussion in 'Wishlist' started by Rob D, Sep 3, 2019.

1. Rob D

Rob D Active Member

I love the AA and I realize it takes time to develop additional quality features into this great unit but I would really like to see an IR loader that would allow two things. 1. the ability to load and audition a folders worth of IRs rather than one at a time (similar to what NadIR does as a plugin in a DAW) and 2. I know this is asking a lot but how awesome would it be to be able to position 2 mics on at least 2 different speakers on a cab with the option of 4 different mics similar to what is offered by Amplitube, Bias Amp 2 and others.

When can we see the next updated Firmware and what is coming our way in the updates?

2. Naigewron

Naigewron Active Member

Dad, boyfriend, musician, nerd
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think IR can do that. An impulse response is a snapshot of a cabinet and mic setup (or numerous cabs and mics) as they were at the moment the IR was captured. You can't move a mic position within an IR file.

There is software out there that will allow you to move virtual mics around (such as the Ox Box), but those aren't IR based. This makes them much more flexible in terms of altering the sound of the built-in cabs, but since the cab simulations are much more complex you won't be able to create and load your own cab sims into them (at least not yet).

3. Rob D

Rob D Active Member

Well, ML Labs has Mikko and I do not profess to know how it works but it works somehow with IRs if I am not mistaken as his header on topic over at TGP states "Next Generation CAB sims, Shoot your own IR" but I also said it is probably too much to ask for. And if that is impossible, then what I really wanted was the ability to audition more than one IR at a time, the mics would just be frosting on the cake. :)

4. Naigewron

Naigewron Active Member

Dad, boyfriend, musician, nerd
    Yeah, I agree about IR auditioning. Making that process quicker and easier would be sweet!

5. Dave_5150

Dave_5150 Senior Member

I thought Mikko was a cab sim rather being IR based? It does export IR's though and it will no doubt sound superb as I've had nothing but great experiences with ML Sound Lab's IR packs.

6. Rob D

Rob D Active Member

Yah, I edited my last post but it didn't stick cuz I used Opera browser, but when you go the TGP under Mikko header it says "Mikko" By ML Sound Lab | Next Gen Cab Sim: Shoot Your Own IR's", maybe it is misleading but it says "shoot your own IR's" so I take that to mean it can create an IR, but... anyway, the premise of my original post was as a "wish" list for the AA to have something firstly to audition a complete folder of IR's vs one at a time and the second part of that "wish" was to have mic placement which would, in effect, create a whole new IR or at least within the patch. Would be very cool. But... as I said, I am sure it is asking too much. Merely a wish, a dream, a fantasy... lol :)

7. Clint Martin

Clint Martin Senior Member

Good old MixIRII from Redwirez is still hard to beat (you don't have to use just Redwirez IRs). You can use it to make the mix you're after then export it as a stereo IR. Amplifire's cab block is stereo...a huge plus.

Rob D likes this.
  8. Dave_5150

Dave_5150 Senior Member

For now you can auditon IR's using a DAW plug in and turning the Atomic cab block off. You also mix your own IR's in any DAW too.

9. Rob D

Rob D Active Member

Right, I get it, and have done it, but it is an extra step, adding another program, the computer, the daw, the IR loader/plugin, the interface, etc, and it seems to change the character of the tones a bit when you go back to the AA by itself, it just seems the end result is not quite the same. Which is why I "wish" for this to be done within the AA software. But we will see where it ends up. We can only do what we can only do. :(:cool:

Last edited: Sep 8, 2019