IR previewer ???

Discussion in 'Discussion' started by Phil Whitmore, Oct 21, 2019.

1. Phil Whitmore

Phil Whitmore Member

I am finding the IR part of the amplifier a bit bewildering. Ive just download a free pack from Ownhammer and the choices are immense :-o .

Does anyone know of a previewer or plugin ( maybe for Logic ). Thinking of recording a guitar part then previewing the various IR's ??? I don't own a looper pedal, so looking for plugin version (Apple Mac)

Im struggling most with the overdriven amps (sounding honky ... if that makes any sense )... or maybe its just my ears knackered after 30 years of abuse lol.

2. Dave_5150

Dave_5150 Senior Member

3. Phil Whitmore

Phil Whitmore Member

4. Slartibartfarst42

Slartibartfarst42 Well-Known Member

I don't want to simply hijack a thread but this is so close to what I was about to ask that it seems pointless to start a new thread.

I recently bought a pack of IRs from OwnHammer and while they're good, I can't always dial in exactly what I want to hear and with so many options, I could spend the rest of my life trying different options. As I'm not particularly skilled with technology I'm unsure what it is I need to change but I've become interested in buying the Mikko from ML Sound Labs as it looks like a fairly idiot proof way of tweaking what an IR can do. The graphic display of the sound should help me to learn about frequencies fairly easily but I've already encountered a couple of potential issues.

1) Apparently, to play through it live and adjust the IR in real time I need a DAW and I don't even know what a DAW is never mind how to use one! Is there a suitable free option I could get that is simple enough for a technophobe like me?

2) As a much cheaper option, is there something I can get that would allow me to see what an IR is like and what any adjustments to the settings are doing? This way I could see what is actually happening when I tweak things on the Atomic because at the moment I'm just turning knobs without fully understanding what they're doing so the whole process is a 'shot in the dark'. I'm guessing that if I have something that can do this, I can probably make the adjustments I need just using the controls on the Atomic rather than spending a lot of my hard earned cash on the Mikko.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.