Just a few questions, please

Discussion in 'Discussion' started by Foghorn Leghorn, Dec 28, 2019.

1. Foghorn Leghorn

Foghorn Leghorn Active Member

Hello Atomic users! The Amp 6 and 12 have both caught my ear via the internet and I'm interested in the AmpliFIRE 12. Three questions if I may:

1. Is it possible to program a 3db volume boost for solos either within a patch or assignable FootSW?

2.How is the quality of the effects loop? I've read that some modelers suffer in this regard, and I'm considering the H9 Max, so I want a good sounding loop.

3. How many of you users feel the need for third party IR installs, and is this fairly simple? I have vast stage and studio experience but have taken a break from it all and have much to catch up on. The last unit I toured (and flew) with was the x3Live, and so much has progressed since then...incredibly so.

Thank you in advance for your guiding advice...

Last edited: Dec 28, 2019
  2. Dagwin

Dagwin Well-Known Member

Hi there.

1. A 3dB boost is easy to do with an equalizer block or boost block and you can have a separate footswitch activate it. You can even set other effects to turn on together with the boost (e.g. echo)

2. Quality is fine as far as I know, but I don't use it much.

3. Third party IR's can make quite some difference to your sound, but it's a rabbit hole... Loading IR's to the unit is easy (dedicated section) and so is applying an IR of your choice to a preset.

3. slateboy

slateboy Senior Member

Home Page:
    same as @Dagwin (above)
    The amplifire has been well thought out and is very flexible and extremely versatile.
    I'll say it again, the cab IRs make can make or break the sound but its no more or less of a venture if you were to buy any other modelling unit.
    The forum is very useful and you should find all the help and advice you need to get you to where you want to be.

depending where you live, i did see someone point out a massive discount on all models in the UK at andertons, so grab a bargain if you can.

4. Foghorn Leghorn

Thank you, Dagwin & Slateboy Very helpful info, and I've pretty much decided upon the AmpliFIRE12. I'm in the USA, FWIW.

5. NelsonP

NelsonP Senior Member

1. Yes. Three ways to do this. Either set up an identical patch with a +3db boost on the amp block, or put a flat GEQ with +3db level, or use a clean boost with +3db (the last one will also colour the tone and boost the input)

2. Fx loop is great. I use a TC HOF2 and Boss RC3 in mine.

3. Third party IRs. Not strictly necessary and can be a real rabbit hole, but easy to do. Ownhammer my favourite.

6. Foghorn Leghorn

Thanks. I'm looking at both the FREMEN presets and OWNHAMMER products. The Fremen pak seems to be an incredible value, and with a good source of cab IR's from a European source.

There doesn't appear to be a lot of aftermkt for clean amp applications (maybe I'm wrong). AmpliFIRE may well have that covered enough in their models. While I'm definitely a rocker and am rooted there, I also want good cleans. I'm sure AmpliFIRE can deliver both in just the demos viewed. There is however, much in the metal side of the pond (thrash, death, heavy), that will be fairly useless to me. I suppose that will be nice to have on tap if I need it.

Another thing I've noticed (or at least maybe I've missed it) is that with OH and the Euro alternative that Fremen draws from, there seem to be NO Hiwatt offerings....either the amps, or the cabinets, and both have signature sounds that are world-class and famous. Hmm I really like what I'm hearing overall.

7. Dave_5150

Dave_5150 Senior Member

MBritt has some great clean and rock tones in his pack and its great value at $14.99 for 60 presets. If older me could give younger me some Atomic related advice it would be to spend less time on IR's and more time exploring the Amplifire. There's great tone's in there with nothing else needed.

Foghorn Leghorn likes this.
  8. NelsonP

NelsonP Senior Member

What Dave says is true - you should explore the stock stuff before spending money.

If I were starting from scratch and wanted to spend money on aftermarket IRs I'd probably pick up the ownhammer (r)evolution bundle as this covers all bases well.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2019
  9. Foghorn Leghorn

Thank you NelsonP and Dave5150. Just seems more like the right direction to go for me.

Dave's last sentence really answered a big question I had. If it already starts with great tones and IR's are not a necessity right off the bat, I'm pretty encouraged. Having said that I certainly desire to explore the world of IR's.
    And thanks for the tip about MBritt's products.

Anybody hearing any aliasing with the unit?

Thanks again!

Last edited: Dec 30, 2019
  10. BONES

BONES Member

There has been discussion about aliasing sounds on note tails - kind of like a noise gate interfering with the end of the note. But there are threads explaining that it is part of the modelling process and replicating what some real amps actually do. I don't think it is always evident - so depends on how you use the AA and what amps/sounds you are using.

Although there are a lot of renowned IRs out there now, the internal AA cabs are actually very good. The more I thought about it, the more I figure the entire end to end modelling Atomic have done includes their own cabs and presumably works in conjunction with the poweramp modelling options in the amps themselves. Third Party IRs can get confusing about how much baked in poweramp there is and whether the poweramp simulation in the software needs to be on or off. Obviously you can just switch it on and off and see what you prefer - but I guess the way to hear the entire system as intended, is to use the built in stuff?

11. Foghorn Leghorn

Thank you, BONES. Your post really helps my perspective.

12. Foghorn Leghorn

UNIT ORDERED JUST A FEW MINUTES AGO!

I live in California and have no idea which shipping carrier Atomic uses ( I can't find the info on the site); but nevertheless, I took the plunge and am VERY much expecting good things...Really, REALLY looking forward to this arriving. Thanks again so much for you help, peeps!