Need more graphic EQ granularity

Discussion in 'Wishlist' started by dibble, May 22, 2019.

1. dibble

dibble Member

How much trouble would it be to get a 10 or 20 band EQ in the software?

This question isn't directly from me. I'm terrible as a sound engineer. But, I spent 2 hours over two evenings with my sound guy tweaking the AA6 to get it to sound like a real amp in a live setting (trying to get that dimed out JCM800 sound out of a 1x12 at bedroom levels). He was very impressed with the parametric EQs, but said the graphic was lacking--especially with the last knob capping out at 5.1k--he wanted to do some fiddling around in the 9k and 12k ranges. So, that's my wish. help my sound guy help me.

currently, we have it very close. that low end grunt and howl is pretty much spot on. But, he said he's lacking control in the high end frequencies to get that creamy drill sound that was so pervasive in the mid 80s--and we used all the other parametric banks dialing in the low frequencies.

2. lespauled

lespauled Well-Known Member

Why not put an MXR 10 band in the effects loop?

3. slateboy

slateboy Senior Member

Home Page:
    You could always apply some EQ to your cab IR. bit of a mission as you first have to get the IR into a daw so a task in itself. (Not ideal, I admit) There’s 3 EQ blocks besides the graphic EQ and the pre-EQ.
    My take on this is that if it needs that much extra treatment to get “the” sound you maybe ought to look for a different cab IR. a good/suitable cab IR does all the EQ work for you and can often be used as-is with no need for additional EQ.
    Also if you were already happy with your sound can the sound guy not fulfil his requirements on his desk/system?