Switching between Cab IRs via footswitches?

Discussion in 'Discussion' started by Ziggybumwah, Feb 10, 2017.

1. Ziggybumwah

Ziggybumwah Well-Known Member

Is it possible? Looked quick this morning at the foot switch assignments and didn't find a Cabinet option.

The biggest thing I've seen that can effect different amp tones are the IR's. It would be cool to be able to stand there and play, scrolling through the IRS via the foot switches. Not caring about the IR names, just playing, listening and changing IRs until you find the one you like. At that point note which one and make yourself a preset.. and like shampoo instructions, repeat as necessary.

Is it possible?

2. Wyatt McConnell

Wyatt McConnell Senior Member

When I'm previewing IRs I:

(1). Make a backup
    (2). Make a folder with copies of the IRs I'm going to preview and rename them with much shorter names that will make sense to me over at least the next hour and then import those IRs.
    (3). Make a patch the save it to the next x preset slots where x = #IRs I'm going to luck at.
    Replace it in each preset with the one in the corresponding user slot.

Now I can scroll through those presets to check out IRs. It's a little bit of work to get things set up, but makes it a lot easier to just play and check tones once it's set up. After I make my notes on the IRs loaded, which ones are keepers, etc., I just reload the backup I saved previously.

3. Ziggybumwah

Ziggybumwah Well-Known Member

Yup that would work but takes considerable time. How cool would it be just dial up a preset and then foot switch (or expression pedal) up or down through the available cabs without taking your hands off the guitar?

Matty likes this.
  4. loremipsum

loremipsum Well-Known Member

Might not be the fastest way but I always use an IR loader in a DAW to preview IRs. With any recent computer the latency is small enough for this specific scope (preview IRs).