Volume at 0% until Expression pedal moved after power on

Discussion in 'Support & Bug Reporting' started by Quadfire, Jun 5, 2020.

1. Quadfire

Quadfire Well-Known Member

If the expression pedal is plugged in, the Amplifire treats the Volume as 0% until I move the expression pedal a bit.

Verified this by looking at the on device "Vol Pedal" % parameter. As soon as you turn it on, the reading is 0% no matter the pedal position at power on. Just touch the pedal a bit and it jumps to the expected value.

Doesn't seem to matter if the env src is set to guitar or volume input. Also disabled the expression 1 for the wah; didn't help either.

upload_2020-6-5_14-20-46.png

Note. if the expression pedal is not plugged in at power on and later plugged, then this behavior is OK, but not required.

2. Paul Wilson

Paul Wilson Member

Yup, I see exactly the same. Couldn't work out why there was no sound through the AF6. Thought it was mechanical, but it can also be fixed by manually setting VOL Bypassed, then Active again, in the editor, so definitely a software bug.

Paul

Quadfire likes this.
  3. Quadfire

I tried the above fix on the device editor and with the computer based editor. Did not work upon power cycling. Diod you mean that as a fix or instead of moving the pedal?

Any ideas?

Last edited: Jun 6, 2020
  4. Paul Wilson

Paul Wilson Member

Instead of moving the pedal. Just wanted to make sure it wasn't my home-made expression pedal

Seems like an initialisation 'undocumented feature' where the safe option of minimum volume is assumed, even when the pedal is set up and connected. Should be 100% instead.

I automatically tweak the pedal on switch on now.

5. Paul Wilson

Paul Wilson Member

Thinking about this, I wonder if this behaviour is rational after all. If, for example, on startup the pedal position was read and the volume set accordingly, we would never know if it was at full volume or not, until we touched the pedal. So perhaps it's best that we are forced to choose a position rather than accepting the initial, possibly accidentally set, position.

What do you think?

6. Quadfire

It's like any other (volume) setting you might have setup for the device. If there's a valid reading at startup, use it.

As soon as you bump the pedal, the volume is going to jump anyway, so you're not really choosing the sound level/position. Most of the time, this is actually forcing me to modify a previous expression setting that I had before the AA was power cycled.

Having a default on mute leads me to look in multiple places for the lack of sound. I might be OK it if the AA remembered the last setting and defaulted to that, but that feels overly complicated.

Paul Wilson likes this.
  7. Paul Wilson

Paul Wilson Member

Yes, I think this is a consequence of the multiple potential uses of the pedal, even for VOL. I use a single pedal (with two pots and hence two control cables) for WAH and VOL (or PSH Whammo).

The VOL or PHS is Active in all presets, so the pedal is always toe down until I use either Swell or Divebomb. I then use a footswitch to activate WAH and disable VOL or PHS. So the ideal for me is 100% on initialisation, but if the pedal has been knocked to a mid-position then it causes a volume or pitch error.

The current arrangement suits me well as it forces me to set toe down at the outset. Documentation would have helped!

Paul

8. Quadfire

So you use the lack of volume on power on "bug" as a reminder to change the pedal? Wow!

I can see how that works for you.

Perhaps an extra feature would be to let the user set the initial value at power on. Not sure this is at the top of my list versus other features. Fixing the bug is higher for me.