What are your favorite IRs ???

Discussion in 'Discussion' started by Rob D, Jul 30, 2019.

1. Rob D

Rob D Active Member

Sorry, I know some of this has been spoken of in the past but new IRs come out and updates to old ones. So to speed up the possibility of finding and sorting through thousands of mixes, mics, cabs... maybe it would be helpful to find out what everyone likes the best with the cab IRs depending upon genre of music and which amps they are using. So, if I can get those cab/tone aficionados to list their favorite cab IRs, I think it would helpful and help to go straight to trying out the most favorites.

Please list the genre, the amp and favorite IRs (company and exact IR name/title) and it will be much appreciated.

TIA

2. Scott Souter

Scott Souter Member

If you like 4x12 cabs then Bogner UberKabs from RedWirez are great! I play mostly hard rock/metal but the Uberkabs are pretty useful for any rock genre.

Rob D likes this.
  3. Rob D

Rob D Active Member

I noticed that they have 2 sets of these and that both have v30's and T75's loaded, which means on one v30's would be the dominate speaker and visa-versa on the other. Just curious which one you use since your genre is rock/metal...?

4. Rob D

Rob D Active Member

Someone here little while back recommended the Ownhammer GNR Basketweave set, so I downloaded them and gave em a try. Really like them and they have great tone. I also downloaded the 3Sigma Fried 412 which of course is the IR of the Friedman 412 cab. I like it but just a bit too dark. They state they use a modded 5150 tube amp to capture impulses and I can't help but hear that 5150 low end coming through, even on their new ACE process. I do want to try the Ownhammer 412 FMAN, the vids done by Leon Todd and others sound really good and since I think my favorite rock/metal amp is the BE (although I love the Arkhan too) I would like to match that up. So far, the Ownhammer's are my favorite IR's not only for quality but for the amount of options to find that perfect tone. I would like to also try the ML Labs IR's but paying in euros from U.S. adds the conversion rates driving the price up, but will probably try em out at some point. Does anyone have an opinion on the Ownhammer vs the ML Lab stuff?

Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
  5. Scott Souter

Scott Souter Member

IIRC, the Uberkab labeled as V30 has 2 different folders of IRs - 1 with V30s and 1 with V30s and T75s mix. I almost never touch the Uberkab with T75s. I much prefer the V30s and occasionally the Uberkab with V30s and T75s.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
    Rob D likes this.
  6. NelsonP

NelsonP Senior Member

Ownhammer GNR Basketweave are my favorites. I've only tried these, the celestion creambacks, the free ones that come with the preset packs and the line 6 allure pack though.

Rob D likes this.
  7. mildew

mildew Active Member

At the moment my favourite ir is from the Redwirez 1960A free pack, its U87 in Cone 3in position. I use it with no ir EQ adjustment for most amps, or just a little Bottom boost for the Kornford amps.

8. Dave_5150

Dave_5150 Senior Member

I've been very impressed with the ML Sound Lab IR's. Also had good results with the Ownhammer GnR, FMAN and ZILLA packs.

9. Dave_5150

Dave_5150 Senior Member

Ooooh and I like the MBRitt IR's he designed for use with modellers too.